Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've succesfully installed Mandriva 2005 Ltd Edition in which the installation all went well. Now the prob here is I cannot seem to locate my C drive or say HDD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help re Mandriva 2005 Ltd Ed

I've succesfully installed Mandriva 2005 Ltd Edition in which the installation all went well. Now the prob here is I cannot seem to locate my C drive or say HDD eg mandriva does not seem to show or indicate a HDD so I can see how much space etc I've used up. For eg in Windows I would go to My Computer, than C drive.

Some further Q's

1. In a Windows environment the HDD is known as the C drive what is it in
    Linux ?

2. I want to also Network my other PC's with Mandriva. Eg In Windows I would
    apply File Sharing, is this the same with Mandriva ?

3. In Win, to re-boot its CTRL, ALT DEL is it the same in Linux ?

Any *nix system uses a different setup than Windows for denoting drives. There are no A: C: or D: drives with Linux. Instead you'll find that 'everything is a file' (and I mean everything ... every system process and all your hardware!)

Assuming you have just one hdd it will be known as hda. A secondary drive as hdb. Instead of a C:\ drive you have partitions ... Typically these are as follows:

/ = root (your system files are here)
    /home (non-system files)

Many people have a separate swap partition as well and people have different preferences for setting things up.

Networking is very very possible with Mandriva, but that could be a big topic! You need a tutorial or a book rather than me and this thread.

There's more than one way to reboot. Log in as root and type init 6

My information here is very basic, but I don't want to overload you with information.

EDIT: Open a terminal and type df to see the size of each partition. To visit directories and files within partitions you'll need to learn some command line basics. Check out the tutorials section of these forums or search on Google. Welcome to our world!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    The site is still under construction, but I made a Linux Beginners FAQ quite a long time ago and put it on my website, it should be pretty easy to understand. My website is:
    http://www.marcusadams.4t.com/
    There's a few things I've put there, one of them being labeled "Linux Beginners' FAQ" that should answer any beginning questions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Mdv10.2

1. hda
    yes you should be able 'see' disk usage of hda with Kdisk free

From GUI - Menu>system>monitoring>KDiskFree
    From CL - "df -h" (without the quotes)

2. Well in Windows I think you have to setup networking first, then setup file sharing. Same in Mandriva. Networking is a HUGE topic but for starters:

If you want to 'see' a Windows machine you will have to setup SAMBA server

If you want to 'see' another MDV 10.2 machine using ethernet, make sure:

1. Each PC has a NIC card

2. The PCs are connected with crossover cable if connected directly or regular patch cable if thru hub, switch or router.

3. ssh is installed and running. This is NOT an 'application' in the 'menu' sense of the word, that is, you will not find it on the menu. It is a system service running in the background. Open Mandrake Control Center (MCC) . Menu>system>system configuration>configure your computer>select>system services>make sure ssh is listed and running, if not you will have to install it from the CDs.

4. Go to MCC and select network and internet. Select new connection>LAN and follow the wizard, naming PC1(192.168.1.1) and PC2 (192.168.1.2) for their respective IP addresses and make this network a static network. Use 255.255.255.0 as the netmask for both PCs and name the PC host/domains as PC1.mylan and PC2.mylan respectively.

5. Now open a terminal on PC1 and type in :
    ping 192.168.1.1 - wait a few seconds then hit Ctrl+C and you should get message indicating "x" packages sent -all received . If successful, do the same on PC2, then try to PING PC2 from PC1 and vice versa. If this all works then close the terminals and open Konqueror on PC1 and type in :

sftp://192.168.1.2

It should ask you for your password and if all goes well you will see the /home /user files of PC2

good luck