Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Been googling like crazy for this, but, obviously nothin turned up. Started havin the strangest problem last night (don´t recall doin anything out of the ordinary, some ftp´ing, changing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Linux 10 - KDE login problem

Hi!

Been googling like crazy for this, but, obviously nothin turned up.
    Started havin the strangest problem last night (don´t recall doin anything out of the ordinary, some ftp´ing, changing screen resolution downwards, log in/out to affect settings of screen, surfin around and then shutdown). So next boot: Running as user, I am unable to do "startx" recieve a fatal error 104. Change to SU, able to run startx, get to login screen. At login prompt I try to log in with my user account, looks like it will work, but KDE returns me to login screen after a while. A reboot does not reset this behaviour.

Any ideas?

Tanks in advance to any replies

For reference: Fujistu-Siemens Amilo, 3,6 GhZ, 1024RAM, Radeon Mobility

I'm shooting in the dark a bit, but as no-one else has yet answered your question ...

If you can get into a terminal, it would be worth looking in /var/log for any system errors. You could post them here. I think X keeps its own logs.

I think you have an X server problem, and this is probably related to changing your settings. Why it should crash, I don't know - but you could well find yourself editing your X settings by hand using Vi, Vim, Emacs or whatever you fancy.

At least that gives you a starting point. It would be wise to make a note of your monitors' specs before you do anything else. Vertical and horizontal refresh rates for eg.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Ok I´ll look it through as soon as I get home.

(I´m actually quite glad something finally ****ed up, haven´t done much but double-clickin´ in GUI yet.)

Tanks in advance... what a typo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hello i have a problem with installing the mandriva 2006.need help it boot but freezees.the screen shows this
    mount error 22 mounting
    warning unable to open an initial console
    kernel panic not syncing
    no init found