Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
thanks alot, I will either try another PC or buy a pirated version of windows, just to deny Bill Gates another $290. I shall be free from his tyranny someday....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

thanks alot, I will either try another PC or buy a pirated version of windows, just to deny Bill Gates another $290. I shall be free from his tyranny someday.

Linux Newbie

Mandrake on Dell

Hmmm.... I have loaded MDK 10.0 and 10.2 on about 10-12 random desktops all with various hdwr with absolutely no trouble. Notice I left out 10.1?
    That's because I did have trouble with 10.1 as did others. 10.2 or 2006 is definitely the way to go with Mandrake.

Are these iso's you burned yourself?

I could swear I keep reading about Dell or HP/Compaq recovery partitions that muss up the installations.

keep googling!

Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b
    Hmmm.... I have loaded MDK 10.0 and 10.2 on about 10-12 random desktops all with various hdwr with absolutely no trouble. Notice I left out 10.1?
    That's because I did have trouble with 10.1 as did others. 10.2 or 2006 is definitely the way to go with Mandrake.
    This - IMHO - is a good point to make. I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva for a few years now and found that:

- some versions are more stable than others;
    - some versions boot more slowly than others;
    - they all contain a few bugs in some apps., but individual apps can be replaced, so no problem;
    - don't use version 9.*

With all those hardware variations out there, some people are going to hit problems, but most will be okay now that Mandriva seem to have got their act together.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, I didnt burn the disks myself. I paid 52 hard earned USD to Mandriva to have them delivered to me, ( I got them here http://store.mandriva.com/product_in...ea9fc93e794ff2
    So if I cant make it work, thats money down the drain. (And I am a typical student whos always broke and unemployed)
    And its not just the apps which arent working, Its the whole thing thats not working. Right after i boot up linux (the loading bar/indicator thingy is completed), it flashes a nVidea logo, then goes to a blue screen where a little hourglass rotates a bit and then becomes a cursor. the whole thing stops from there. I can only get a response using ctrl+alt+F1, and using command lines (and I dont know any command lines)

Sounds like a bad deal. Also this could be an issue with your Nvidia driver. I would try for a fresh install, and look carefully at the options you get for setting up your card. Perhaps go for a generic card, or select VGA. Anything to get to a working desktop.

If that doesn't work we might be able to discuss some other options.

I'm not trying to rub it in, but I've never paid for a Mandriva distro before, and I would recommend installing from a dvd rather than CDs. That way you can be more certain of a complete distro. I find Mandriva's marketing principles questionable.

Hmmm ... look how many posts I have now (666 when I posted this). Perhaps I'm evil.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Should I switch back to my original graphics card when doing this? If I did, would I still be able to switch back to my better (aftermarket) graphics card when I get it working?

Linux Newbie

MDK on Dell

I have good luck with a place called Spidertools. They sell the MDK community and download versions for less than $5.00

Remember the dwnld versions will not have proprietary drivers and utilities like SOME nvidia and ATI drivers or flash and Java, but you can get these as free downloads anyway.

You say you bought the discs from Mandriva?
    Check to see that your version includes the Nvidea drivers as the download versions DO contain SOME. If not, try installing MDK 10.1 with your default / onboard video card. That would be first choice.

Again, second possibility is the recovery partition on Dells /HP/Compaq may be causing installation problems.

Google is your friend
    Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Fingal is correct. Go ahead and retry install with nvidia and pay attention to graphics configuration. If your graphics card is not listed, go with VESA. If that doesn't work try the install with your default/onboard video.

good luck

Just Joined!
    Hallelujah! it works
    I put my old graphics card in and then set the driver to "nVidea Geforce"
    Now it boots to a black text interface which I use to log on. After logging on, I just typed "kde" to switch to a graphical interface.
    Thanks to all, you have been so helpful, I think I will be alright from here.

Quote Originally Posted by streakingsnake
    Hallelujah! it works
    I put my old graphics card in and then set the driver to "nVidea Geforce"
    Now it boots to a black text interface which I use to log on. After logging on, I just typed "kde" to switch to a graphical interface.
    Thanks to all, you have been so helpful, I think I will be alright from here.
    I feel relieved, and happy that a couple of other people contributed to this thread. A couple of times I thought, "I'm losing the patient ... flatlining!" You did well to persist. You'll still find problems from time to time, but if you deal with them one at a time, you'll be flying!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast