Find the answer to your Linux question:
I decided to Mandriva 2006 a go and do an upgrade from 2005, as I did like 2005 LE alot as well. Well after all the installation etc of 2006 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2006 Messed up my Desktop

I decided to Mandriva 2006 a go and do an upgrade from 2005, as I did like 2005 LE alot as well. Well after all the installation etc of 2006 etc which all went well and after a re-boot of my PC, I was to than find the desktop screen, GUI environment a complete mess. There was shadow marks from the icons ( looked like icons were on top of one another), some icons were large some were small, taskbar below was a mess and cluttered, colurs were a mess.

So I decided to re-install but this time do a complete install and not and upgrade. After this was done once again I was back to square one, another mess i.e.

I've now reverted back to Linux 2005 LE and all is working fine.

Yeah, that's odd. When I upgraded from LE 2005 to 06 I had some very minor desktop problems. I would log out, and then when I logged in again my icons were spread all over the screen in the wrong places ... After a while I downloaded a few bug fixes and all was well again.

Mysterious! It can be a lot like like that with Mandriva, but some of us are happy flying by the seat of our pants. Wait a minute! I sound like Biggles!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

As for me, the upgrade worked weirdly from 2005 to 2006 : every KDE element in use with 2005 became unavailable with 2006.

Off were gone the default KDE mouse cursors. Same goes for the Mandriva Galaxy theme. Same goes for this, and that, and this, and that.

The solution was rough : log with Gnome, completely delete the user preferences in /home deleting the KDE folder, completely uninstall KDE, and then reinstall KDE afresh (from internet RPMs, just in case), and things were allright again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Albinoni
    So I decided to re-install but this time do a complete install and not and upgrade. After this was done once again I was back to square one, another mess i.e.
    I'm usually always in favor of a fresh install over upgrading, but this is probably just some minor graphics card/settings issue.

Can you tell us more about your system and graphics setup?