Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not sure where to start with this one, so any help would be appreciated... I recently installed Mandriva 2006.0 on my machine via FTP. It works fine, everything seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCI card freezing Mandriva 2006.0

I'm not sure where to start with this one, so any help would be appreciated...

I recently installed Mandriva 2006.0 on my machine via FTP. It works fine, everything seems to be up and running perfect. When I installed it I used an old network card since getting my wireless card to run the install is beyond my skills.

I looked up how to install the wireless card and installed ndiswrapper. I have the disk for my net card and installed the driver for that (a PCI Linksys WMP54G). That seemed to go ok...

But when I shut down and installed the card, the computer locks up during boot up. Now, it doesn't always do the same thing... sometimes it get to kde and then the screen goes blank. The other day it actually let me log in before it locked up with the x cursor sitting on the desktop.

I'm guessing something is running around the time I log in that's causing it to freeze, I'm just not sure what. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? How can I diagnose it? Should I somehow start up at the cli? What logs would tell me the error? TIA for any advice.

arclyte

Just Joined!

Logs

Look in:
    /var/log/messages
    /var/log/dmesg
    /var/log/xorg.log