Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i try to update my system it gives me this error: - urpmi.addmedia --update update ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin ux/mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/synthesis.hdlist.cz using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Unable to update Mandrake 10.0

When i try to update my system it gives me this error: -

urpmi.addmedia --update update ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin ux/mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 5 (x86) (cdrom4)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 6 (x86) (cdrom4)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 7 (x86) (cdrom4)"
    using different removable device [/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd] for "Inst allation CD 8 (x86) (cdrom4)"
    unable to access hdlist file of "update_source", medium ignored
    added medium update
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86 ) (cdrom1).cz]
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86 ) (cdrom2).cz]
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86 ) (cdrom3).cz]

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "update"...
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin/with
    ...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Couldn't cd to lin
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/base/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    ...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Couldn't cd to base
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    ...retrieving failed: curl: (19) Given file does not exist
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/base/synthesis.hdlist1.cz
    ...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Couldn't cd to base
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/base/synthesis.hdlist2.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/synthesis.hdlist1.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/synthesis.hdlist2.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin/synthesis.hdlist1.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin/synthesis.hdlist2.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/lin/hdlist.cz
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/base/hdlist.cz

I am also not able to install or boot to KDE or Gnome

Please help

Okay. First of all a slight confession: I hope no-one else is reading this . One of my weak areas with this distro is using urpmi. Well, using it isn't too hard, but when it goes wrong it can be tough to fix.

I would suggest using easy urpmi. Oddly, there now seems to be one just for Mandriva users. Sample it here: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

The idea is to follow easy urpmi step by step and then copy and paste the output into a terminal. Your problem might be that the directory structure of the ftp server you are accessing for updates has changed, or down for maintainence, or ... the list is endless.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso