Find the answer to your Linux question:
very new person to linux, fresh install of manrake 10.1 community and it will only boot to the console, i can log in and it doesnt give any error messages. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake 10.1 community on boots to console

very new person to linux, fresh install of manrake 10.1 community and it will only boot to the console, i can log in and it doesnt give any error messages. so any of you guys got any ideas?

Try the following to see which works:

startx
    startkde

If one doesn't work then try the other. If you get to KDE then go to 'Configure your computer' and Boot. There you can select the option to start the gui whenever you boot up.

Tell us how you get on.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    both say something about an xserver and not connecting, should i try to reinstall or try a different distro?

Just Joined!
    im going to re-install and see what happens from ther, ill let you know what happens

Quote Originally Posted by nige47
    im going to re-install and see what happens from ther, ill let you know what happens
    Good idea. Make sure you install a gui like Gnome and KDE.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso