Find the answer to your Linux question:
I donno why amarok cannot open now. when i try to open it, the cursor shows it's loading, but nothing shows up. This started happening when I changed my sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

amarok cannot open

I donno why amarok cannot open now. when i try to open it, the cursor shows it's loading, but nothing shows up.

This started happening when I changed my sound driver settings while I had amarok running... after that, it won't open, not even if i restart my computer.

how to fix this problem? help!!

Amarok is a great package most of the time, but it can go wrong if you aren't careful. It could still be running in the background without you knowing. If you're running KDE - or any other GUI - the first thing to do when something goes wrong is to check your systems' processes.

A couple of ways to do this:

1. Hit Ctrl+Esc in KDE ... You'll get a list of processes. If Amarok is one of them (and you see no front end running) click on it to highlight the process and press the kill button. Then try and start Amarok up again.

2. Open a terminal, type the word top and note the PID number of Amarok. Hit k and type in the PID number. Amarok will close and you can start it again.

You could always reinstall whatever you changed and start again. Hope this helps you with your DJ music experiences.

Having read your post again I see that you restarted you computer and things still didn't work, so maybe you just need to reinstall Amarok.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Me too

Hi. I'm having the same problem. Amarok starts to load and the flash screen actually flashes for a second then goes away and Amarok never seems to make it. I've checked my processes and tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing is helping. I really like this program and want to get it back up and running. Any ideas?

Can you tell me the following:

Which version of Amarok are you using?
    Which version of Mandriva is it running on?

I had a problem with Amarok when I upgraded 2005 LE to 2006 and I wondered if it might be related to this. My problem was that Amarok went wild every time I started it up, and it basically took over my entire system.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Could you guys start amaroK from the terminal:
    Code:
    $ amarokapp
    Then look at the output, maybe it gives any pointers as to where it goes wrong.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Version

I'm using Mandrivia 2006 PowerPack with all current updates & Amarok 1.3.8-20060gm.i586.rpm. I don't know if it's the same version that came with my particular OS. After a bunch of updates and stuff Amarok quite launching so I uninstalled and re-installed and when that didn't work I downloaded another RPM. I ran the command line and the response is:

amarokapp: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot opend shared object file: No such file or directory

I find that curious since it ran a few days ago. I'm not quite user friendly yet with linux so I can't seem to solve too many of my own problems. I switched from Windows XP. Running anything from a command line is still new to me.

Definitely a good call from Borromini - I forgot that running an app. from the command line is important when you have an error.

A quick Google search would suggest that the missing (or maybe corrupt?) library file that won't load belongs to Mesa. Mesa is a 3D graphics application which is similar to OpenGL, so perhaps - without knowing it - you removed it, installed something over it ... who knows? It looks like you need to look carefully at the packages which Amarok requires (as always, the manual is the place to go ... this may be boring but you need to do it).

Before doing that, you should search for the library file on the command line. I know you said you are new, but it isn't so bad after a while. Try this:

su
    <enter your password>
    find / -name libGL.so.1 -print

Note that if you don't input the 'find' command correctly in every detail, it won't work. It takes everything very literally!

This will search every directory in your system for the file called libGL.so.1 and if it finds it, it will print the results to your screen. If not, it'll do nothing and leave you with that empty feeling.

So, it's a start.

Edit: Here's the output for the same search on my own box:

[john@pickle ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@pickle john]# find / -name libGL.so.1 -print
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1

So there you are.

Just Joined!

Mesa

I've been having some difficulties with Mesa since I did some Mandriva updates. Mesa replaced my ATI driver with something else and several things went wrong. I've been picking my way around and searching for the answers to these problems. I ran the command you suggested and was left with "That empty feeling". I'll check into the manual for Amarok. Thanks for the assistance.

Just Joined!

Success

I reinstalled all the Mesa stuff and Amarok opened right up. I don't remember taking Mesa out in the first place? Oh well, it's there now and I'm happy for the moment. Thanks for the assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrogg
    I reinstalled all the Mesa stuff and Amarok opened right up. I don't remember taking Mesa out in the first place? Oh well, it's there now and I'm happy for the moment. Thanks for the assist.
    w00t!