Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install Mandriva 2006 onto a USB harddrive so that it can boot like Mandriva 2005 Globetrotter 2 ? Or can a floppy / cd boot disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2006 & USB external harddrive

Is it possible to install Mandriva 2006 onto a USB harddrive so that it can boot like Mandriva 2005 Globetrotter 2 ? Or can a floppy / cd boot disk be created that when my pc is switched on it boots Mandriva from the USB harddrive.

Many thanks,
    Ian.

It could be possible, but I haven't tried it. Also, your computer need to support booting from usb drive.

What you can do is plug in the drive and tell the system to install to the usb drive which will be called sda (or sdb if you already have a sata disk). Then, you can either create a boot floppy or have the bootloader installed onto the mbr of the usb drive. Then when computer boots and usb drive is plugged in, the bootloader should come up else it won't and should boot into windows.

here is a tutorial on the subject albeit for FC4.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Can not boot from USB device

It seems that my pc is unable to boot directly from a USB connected device. Is it possible to create a boot cd or floppy so my machine starts the boot process from either the cd or floppy which then in turn boots the linux system from the connected USB harddrive ?.

Cheers,
    Ian.

I am not sure about that, as far as I know, your computer need to be able to boot usb for this to work. Maybe I am wrong about that, and perhaps someone has done what you ask and would have posted steps somewhere on the web.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    You can do that infact im running it now hehe. Your bios needs to be able to boot from usb drives.

first mount the isos to 3 cds (assuming you´re using the 3 cd version and not the dvd version but should work on both) with you´re favorite burning program (nero or something)

restart with disk 1 in the drive (make sure boot set up has optical as primary boot) it will load the splash screen etc etc.
    Note: make sure your usb is connected before you restart.

when installing it will ask where to install. Select your usb drive and and install it will ask what partion to make i suggest ext3 than it will install and select grub as the boot loader

when thats done restart go to bios set primary to usb secondary to hdd.

now to start on linux just plug your usb in to start on windows unplug your usb before booting

hope this helped

I never thot my first post would be this long O.o