Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I've recently decided to cave in and try out Linux. I downloaded the Mandrake 10.1 DVD iso, and went to install it. I wanted a dual boot with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandrake 10.1

Hey all,

I've recently decided to cave in and try out Linux. I downloaded the Mandrake 10.1 DVD iso, and went to install it. I wanted a dual boot with XP. I've got it mostly installed. However when I finish up the configuring, and go to boot into Mandrake it stops at the IRQ part, and says failed. After that it takes FOREVER to get to the port mapping. I've never made it past that. I'm assuming i'm just not doing something right. This is my first attempt with anything Linux. However I did make a 6 gig partition, and then partition that for my / partition and the other for my swap partition. I'm assuming its just a hardware issue. Either way i'm stumped as to why it won't boot. It goes fairly quick up until that point. Any ideas what could be causing my problem?

I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, With 2.8 gig processor, 512 dual channel DDR2, 140 gig SATA hard drive, ATI Radeon X300se PCIe video card, and onboard intel network adapter with onboard sound, and a broadcom Modem. Thanks for any help.

Just Joined!
    Actually just ignore that. I went and downloaded Fedora core 3, and i'm currently posting for the first time under Linux. Now to learn how to use this stuff. Sorry to waste forum space.