Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm kind of new to this whole Linux thing. I was wondering someone out there can give me a step-by-step process on how to set up a dual booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual-Booting Mandriva 2006 and Windows XP Pro

Hello, I'm kind of new to this whole Linux thing. I was wondering someone out there can give me a step-by-step process on how to set up a dual booting machine with both Mandriva and WinXP Pro. It would be greatly appreciated.

are you using lilo or grub as the bootloader?

If grub I may be of some use to you (affraid I don't know lilo).

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Have you already installed Mandriva? If not, the installer makes it pretty self-explanatory. It will let you know what it wants to do and give you various options.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile if you haven't started then you need to do a couple of things..

firstly repartitioning while you have your hard drive setup as ntfs can be tricky.. use a partitioning tool like partition magic or better(i do things differently).. or back up hard drive data and partition first then load windows xp back on.. next boot linux and follow the prompts.. installing lilo or grub is much the same for each. load onto mbr hda and youve got a dual boot machine.(in lilo default to op that you wish when you configure it in the install).. with xp you just need to have the op on as you can reconfigure and reload after.. thats if you have to go to that extreme..

once thats done have funn..
    oh dont forget set a root passwrd and a user.. or we willbe having lots of chats..