Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All! I'm your average joe ex-Swindowls XP user. I have an older machine running Mandrake 10.1 and its running fine. I've finally decided I want to run Mandriva 2006 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jta
    Just Joined!

Semi-newbie Linux user - questions??

Hello All!

I'm your average joe ex-Swindowls XP user. I have an older machine running Mandrake 10.1 and its running fine.
    I've finally decided I want to run Mandriva 2006 on my Intel 2.6 Ghz 512MB ram system. The problems I am already seeing before I start is that I have alot of periphrial devices that I have been unabled to configure on the other system. the 2 most important things that I really want to be abled to use in this configuration are:

Western Digital external 120Gig HD. Model WD1200B007-RNN

and my external DVD writer

Iomega external usb Super DVD R/RW model : DVDRW16XUSB

I also have a few other ones, a Dell printer (which I hear are Lexmark rips pretty much, correct me if i'm wrong), which actually isnt a big deal because I imagine through the bunches of printers here I can find one to work.

But also I have a Kodac Easyshare LS743 4.0 Megapixel cam.

I'd really like to have the H/D work in linux for sure as well as the DVD writer.
    The others I'll even install a small XP partition for that, (as long as thats all I have to see of it)

I know I'm probably all over the place on this, but thats kind of how my brain is reacting to the adaptation to linux. Dont get me wrong, I love it and want only it on my system. But that terminal window has made me lose more than a couple of days sleep just trying to figure out the installation of programs (was trying redhat before, I like it. But I cant get nothing to install no matter how much I read)

Anyways, I hope one or two of you can understand what I am trying to say, not sure if I actually am anymore. But you know, Its kind of almost the same feeling as it was having my very first computer, I remember DOS. It was so alien to me, but after long and a little direction i was doing things that amazed myself multiple times a day. Its like a little rush I swear!

Anyways, Thank you all who got this far in trying to figure this out in advance.

Forever in your Gratitude,

Jt

Linux Newbie
    I'm using Mandriva 2005 LE, I did use 2006 for a while but it's still a little buggy so I switched back. Your external hard drive should definitely pick up, I don't see why it's not in 10.1. Is it formatted in FAT? If it's in NTFS you'll have to reformat it in FAT in order for Linux to pick it up because NTFS is a file system proprietary to Microsoft Windows and is not supported by default settings. Most all of your peripherals should work just fine. To install programs you may want to check out the thread discussing playing your Windows Media files that is stickied in the top of this forum, it discusses installing with urpmi, the command line implementation of Mandriva's package manager and very easy to use. A lot of software can be done by urpmi because it comes with Mandriva. For instructions on installing from source you can visit another thread I stickied in a forum I'm a mod of on student.com. Here is the thread.
    http://teenforums.student.com/viewtopic.php?t=192573

I've also got some things on my website you may find interesting since you're new to Linux, some of the documents were written when I was still a Linux noob and learning my way around so if they're slightly childish sounding that's why. You can visit my website at http://www.marcusadams.4t.com .

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser40351
    ... Your external hard drive should definitely pick up, I don't see why it's not in 10.1. Is it formatted in FAT? If it's in NTFS you'll have to reformat it in FAT in order for Linux to pick it up because NTFS is a file system proprietary to Microsoft Windows and is not supported by default settings....
    Not entirely true, Linux and especially Mandrake/Mandriva can read NTFS based file systems, it is when you try to write you run into problems.

jta, I had a bit of trouble getting my usb drive to load in Mandrake 10.1, the only solution I found to that was to have the drive plugged in during boot time and kudzu would pick it up and automount it. If you want a writeable filesystem for both to read and write to, like linuxuser40351 said, use a FAT partition, note XP doesn't like FAT partitions over 32GB.

I guess the dvd writer could work, again, I would suggest you having it plugged in during boot so that kudzu detects it. As for the printer, check out CUPS and get CUPS drivers from www.linuxprinting.org. For camera, again try plugging it in, it should appear as another USB drive on your system.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

jta
    Just Joined!
    Hello!

Yes, the drive is currently under NTFS, I just want to be sure that I have a good reason for the data loss (of formating to FAT, I just dont have the space to back it all up prior)

How does Mirvannda 10.1 compare to 2005le and 2006? Are there any major advantages/disadvantages over them?

jta, I haven't tried 2005 or 2006 so I can't say how they compare to 10.1, but from reading a few reviews it seems like a lot of the problems with 10.1 were fixed in 2005.

As for formatting your drive, remember XP doesn't like FAT partitions over 32GB, so you could just create a small FAT partition and leave the rest as NTFS. Like I said before, Linux can read the NTFS partition just fine, but it can't write to it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Smile comparison

ive used redhat, susse,slackware and mandrake.. only tried fedorer 3 and 4 recently..
    turbo wasn't bad but mandriva 2006 is the ducks guts for me.. few hiccups but pretty minor.. mostly finding my way around as things have been put into different places and some of my old friends aren't here no more but its real good so far. ..

what i'm using;;
    AMD 64 at 2800 mhz
    on abit k8v800 mother board. via chipset..
    256 mb DDR 266 mhz ram.
    80 gb drive..(partitioned in half with 260 mb swap partition)
    geforce 6200 agp with 256 mb ram..
    16x r/rw dvd dual layer burner..
    52x32x52 r/rw cd burner..
    eth0 rhine via..
    set up with 5.1 ac97..and surround system connected..
    adsl connection..
    dual boot is windows xp sp2 and (5hrs hacking to get working properly)..
    mandriva 2006.. (everything works except the tv out which i use on windows anyway) i'll fix that soon tho..
    mandriva took 2 hours to get right (i did build my system only for linux and i tried fedorer 3 & 4 on it.. yuk!! don't like..
    had to load sp2 as my system would not stay stable without it... ha ha ha ..
    anyway mandriva 2006 i find very configurable. some hiccups but thats expected.. try it may be worth it.. dont know till you do..
    best of luckk..!!!!!