Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Mandriva for the fourth time(the last two being kind of identical) and everytime I had to confront with dissapointment. Initially I had some issues with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandriva wont load!!!!

I have just installed Mandriva for the fourth time(the last two being kind of identical) and everytime I had to confront with dissapointment. Initially I had some issues with the boot loader which i suppose is solved coz I finally get the "Welcome to Mandrake" thing but in few seconds, comp reboots. I have spent the entire day trying to read the instructions u ppl have on ur forum and this installation thing and it has taken a toll on me. I have 2 hdd's n have installed mandriva on the hda with bootloader installed on the first boot sector of the root partition and later in one of the configurations assigned it to /dev/hda.
    This is my first time with linux so i m in a quandry whether to pursue it or revert to good ol windows. Awaiting replies.

regards
    Ashwin

Hello! Okay, some questions. Which bootloader are you using, what issues did you have with it, which version of Mandriva are you using?

What are your hardware specs? I'm particularly thinking of your graphics card: nVidia or ATI? Are you dual booting with Windows?

Can you get as far as a command line?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Hey Fingal thanks for the reply. Well I have opted for LILO with graphical menu as my bootloader which as i said before have installed at /dev/hda and not in hda8(where my /boot is coz i tried it and it dint happen). Well I have downloaded the 3 cd pack of Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-.i586 from one of the distro sites.
    My hardware specs are as follows - P4 2.8ghz, 1gb ddr ram, 2 hdds(80gb master + 120gd slave), jus purchased an USB sound card whch works pretty fine on windows, Nvidia geforce fx 5200 PCI slot card(my dealer duped me coz i cudnt find an AGP slot in my P4 pc), Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family fast Ethernet NIC lan card.
    Well I suppose it has installed fine but after givin a "Welcome to mandriva " sign in the terminal mode(coz the grafical thing still doesnt appear) and in 2 sec it reboots again givin me da LILO thing. Do u think my graphics card is da prob, but during configuration of display interface it asked me for 2 monitors kinda thing and i selected plug n play + nvdia geforce fx(generic) wid 1024x768 @ 60 hz and for the second i jus selected 1024 x768 @ 60hz n cliked next. Do u think dat mite be da issue?? and cud u tell me wat i need to do at dat stage????
    regards
    Ashwin

Hi again - Well, you have a well supported graphics card. I think it might be what's causing the problem though - It's hard to suggest what to select, but I think you need to reconfigure it (assuming that I'm right and that is what's the matter).

Not sure what you mean by '2 monitors'. Usually you only set up one card! Maybe you have onboard graphics as well, and you've set that up - it could be creating a conflict somewhere.

You don't need to reinstall the whole distro: you can just 'upgrade' or something: as long as you can get to the setup for the video card.

Also check this link out. Someone who had a similar problem not long ago. If it isn't your card, then it could be the way Lilo is set up ... Just trying to think ahead.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    hey fingal thanks for ur apt reply. Ill try dat right away n let u know wats the result. Anyways is it possible to change the graphic card configuration from the onboard to the one i use after installation?? And yes even i was confused after selecting the settings for my display i got an option for the second on clicking next which i kept it 1024x768...anything in dat...anyways ill keep u abreast wid da proceedings!!!!
    regards
    Ashwin

Hello there! I'll be honest with you: I've never had to configure a board with 2 graphics cards, but I suggest that if you get a chance to do so, just ignore the onboard, or select 'Nothing' instead of a driver.

It might be possible to disable the onboard graphics in your BIOS (you can usually do that with onboard sound as well) ... If you feel happy to play around with your BIOS settings it's worth looking at. If not ... then not.

Usually after installation you can go into the Mandriva Control Centre (to be found under 'Configure your computer') and change drivers in there for most types of hardware.

Once you get over this problem then things should work. Your hardware looks fine to me. Not every sound card is fully supported in Linux, but that's another thing for another time.

Just Joined!

Smile good reply fingal.. 2 graphics aaargh..

tried installing 2 graphics before and no luck booting up at all.. total corruption...
    cancel install of second graphics.. ensure you know which one you setup ( i got caught when i setup on board and had monitor plugged into agp).. pays to disable in bios...
    try leaving probed settings alone as you install as this can cause kernel problems when you change things that you may think are right but probes say otherwise...
    i found mandriva 2006 probes quite respectfully...
    mouse settings if wrong can cause hell with x-server as well as graphics settings..
    loading bootloader on MBR(main boot record) lilo or grub both work fine that way and its easier for setting dual boot..

good old winflaws.. nah not good just used to it is all.. its like a sore toe, after a while you forget how painful it was... you will like linux once you get it stable, just learn that its not supported by money but people.. and hey you get friends that way..
    good luck.. let me know how you go..