Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is What I get in Shell-Konsole [theworlock@localhost ~]$ su Password: [root@localhost theworlock]# cd /home/theworlock [root@localhost theworlock]# tar xzvf equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3.tgz Then it goes through all the files and then I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Trouble installing Equinox (TAR.GZ)

Here is What I get in Shell-Konsole [theworlock@localhost ~]$ su Password: [root@localhost theworlock]# cd /home/theworlock [root@localhost theworlock]# tar xzvf equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3.tgz

Then it goes through all the files and then I get the below

[root@localhost theworlock]# tar xvf equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3.tar tar: equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now [root@localhost theworlock]# cd equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 [root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# sh equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 sh: equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3: No such file or directory [root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# sh equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 install sh: equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3: No such file or directory [root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# cd equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 sh install bash: cd: equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3: No such file or directory [root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# Done in Shell-Konsole Thanks everyone fhenderson@hotmail.com

::Moderator Note:: In the future, please give your threads a title that's descriptive of your actual problem. I have edited the title for this one.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 02-10-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Uh....
    In future, try keeping your problem to the one thread. i.e. you asked for help in one thread and told us to read the problem in another thread. in future, keep it in the same thread.

Also, when putting output from the terminal here, please for the love of your jebus, place a new line after the commands, so we can actually read it.

Ok, now with your problem. I see that you untarred it successfully, now do a cd ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 and then run "sh install" (without quotes) to install it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Frustrated former Windows user. HELP ME JEBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didnt work here is what I get

[theworlock@localhost ~]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost theworlock]# cd ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 and then run sh install

[root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# cd ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 sh install

bash: cd: ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3: No such file or directory

[root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]#

Ok, I'll try to break down the steps much further, execute these commands one after the other in the console:
    Code:
    su -
    Password:
    cd /home/theworlock/equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3
    sh install
    what you are doing wrong is that you are not cd'ing to the correct directory which contains the installer script file. The installer script file (install.sh) resides in this directory: /home/theworlock/equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 . You were trying to run the script file from some random location hence resulting in errors.

Also when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    now do a cd ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 and then run "sh install" (without quotes) to install it.
    you were meant to do it as two separate commands. Linux and even Windows won't understand a command like "cd ./equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3 and then run "sh install"" ......

Just Joined!

Frustrated former Windows user. HELP ME JEBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Still Nothing

Here's what I get

[theworlock@localhost ~]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost theworlock]# cd /home/theworlock/equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3

[root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]# sh install

/usr/bin/install: /usr/bin/install: cannot execute binary file

[root@localhost equinox-0.8.94-Linux-glibc2.3]#

I'm getting confused reading this. Shouldn't that be:

sh ./install

Or - and maybe my brain's not working today or something? - it could be that the permissions aren't set right for that file. Try:

chmod +x install

sh install
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Yes, fingal is right, the permissions aren't set for the install script. You need to execute the chmod command he stated in the directory where the install.sh script exists. Then rerun the install script.