Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All... Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong bit, or if someone else has asked this same question but after hours of searching.. I am still none ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootsplash HELP!

Hi All...

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong bit, or if someone else has asked this same question but after hours of searching.. I am still none the wizer..

The thing is.. As a newbie, and with the free version of Mandriva 2006.. I have a problem with the bootsplash screen.. I want to customise it away from that grim blue picture with FREE plastered over it.. to something more flasher.. Thing is, I have tried for days the various things I have found.. but the Grub/Lilo part just will not change, WHY
    Can someone help a ex-Microsoft heretic migrate..

Cheers all, and Don't forget I am a newbie.. so don't get to technical

Bodders

Just Joined!

Cool may help

just go into configure your computer and uncheck "display theme under console".
    then you dont get the theme..
    try making your own theme.. may cause you a headache but if you installed all the documentation then you should find a man page for what you want to do.. you can get a non graphical startup(called text).. its like looking at grass grow... which is also in same screen up where it says "silent", click on that and select"text"..
    i haven't tried making my own theme but will give it a try later and if i'm successful i'll let you know..

hope it helps...

Just Joined!
    Thanks Wraithe

Managed to change most off the splashes, except the Grub (or is it Lilo) splash.. It is doing my head in.. as I want to use Mandriva for the schools PCs but that "Free" splash makes it look so cheep!

TY

Bodders

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bodvoc
    Thanks Wraithe

Managed to change most off the splashes, except the Grub (or is it Lilo) splash.. It is doing my head in.. as I want to use Mandriva for the schools PCs but that "Free" splash makes it look so cheep!

TY

Bodders
    Errr... freedom is cheap? Please read this.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Hi fingal

Yea... I do get the point.. but "Free" doesn't have to look "CRAP" ..

And doing it for a school, well they like "branding" i.e. Their name plastered all over the PC.. wallpapers, Boot Logos, Screen savers etc. etc. It took me an hour to break all the M$ Splashes and rebrand it from scratch.. and build my own install disc.. So why is it so hard to do it with Linux

Its taken me three years to get them away from M$.. on a test pilot site, and they will buy the Full Version.. once I have proven Mandriva will do what they want just as well as M$.. and so keep the dream alive and break that M$ strangle hold on the world.. Its only Dominos.. Just Dominos.. but another will fall

So in short, and going back to my question.. how do I change that Bloodly Terrible Lilo/Grub splash... That has a frozen Penguin and FREE all over it ???

Cheers All
    Bodders

Just Joined!
    Hi AndrewB and all

Umm.. errrr... Well.... Ummmm ? No, none of that works in Mandriva..
    I am stuck on the very first screen (lilo/Grub) working with a KDE boot.. and it insists on showing the Mandriva splash (blue penguin and FREE!), feed up or what!

This must be so simple to do, but I must be over looking something? or is there a .RPM file that will do all (inc. seting up the installed background)?? Some wizz Kid (or Wizz Dad) must know..

Any help guys? PLEASE I am desperate now!

Cheers Bodders

Just Joined!
    If you goto install software area and type boot or splash there a few more that will be installed, maybe you'll like one of them.