Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
At the beginning I would jus want to say that I did search the forum and was unable to find the answer to my question but if there is one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing and connecting to internet.

At the beginning I would jus want to say that I did search the forum and was unable to find the answer to my question but if there is one I am sorry and would be very happy if you could just give me a link to it.

I am a total newbe, so please consider that my knowledge is very small. Now lets get to the point:

I have Mandrake 10.1 and Windows XP Home edition installed. I want to start using linux but without internet it is a bit point less, so I decided to install Internet on to the Mandrake. The problem I have is simple: How to do it? I have DSL connection. I connect to internet through a home network. I use wireless adapter. (For UK users: I use BT wireless adater 1010.)

For any help, thank you.

PS. if you need more information in order to be able to answer my question, feel free to ask.

does your computer connect to the internet wirelessly through a router of sorts? A better discription of how your network is setup would help greatly in providing assistance.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Yes it connects to internet through a router. Basicly I have a network of 3 computers (two wireless and one connected directly to the router). We use a n infrastructure model (all computer connect to internet throught the router). To connect to the network I need to install the adapter. I am unable to do that, as well. It works fine on Windows but I suspect (tell me if I am wrong, as I said I am newbe) that it might be the case that I need a special CD for a linux.

Ok, now what you need to do is find out which chipset the wireless card uses and if there is a linux driver available if any. I'd suggest you take a look at this post to determine this.

If you find that no native linux driver exists, or you find it too difficult to install, you can use ndiswrapper. To install ndiswrapper in Mandriva, just use urpmi i.e. urpmi ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper is basicially a program which "wraps" the windows XP drivers to work with Linux.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

I am sorry but I am really a newbe and I have no idea what your talking about. I had a look at the post but understood bearly nothing. I also did the search for ndiswrapper but most of the things I have found where to much of technical speech for me to understand. I even downloaded the latest version of ndiswrapper but I am still unable to do anything. What is urpmi? How do I load it/start it/ use it? Where can I find it?

Thank you for any help.

PS. I have almost no expirence with programming either. That might be completly irrelevant but things like: ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
    seem to have something to do with source and, what is more important, I don't understand it. (the extract abouve was taken from installing directions for ndiswrapper 1.10)

PS2. I just found this how to. As I wrote before this is a kind of thing I don't qite get. (e.g. Where do you write in this code?)

Hi - To install the software Alex mentioned you need to open a terminal. Unlike Windows you can access a command line. This doesn't involve any programming, but it takes a little while to learn basic commands and feel comfortable with them. Examples of commands are:

ls al - lists all files in your directory
    mv - move or rename files

If you search on Google you'll find a tutorial or HOWTO * as you said. urpmi is the package management tool for Mandriva which lets you install and uninstall sofware. To use this you need to open a terminal again and log in as root. If you don't know how to do this, again you need a HOWTO, but here's a basic idea:

su
    <your_password>
    urpmi ndiswrapper

This should install it for you. It will take time before you feel happy doing these things. There are a lot of utilities and useful things already included with your Linux distro.

<edit> * I found one for you.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Ok, I am slowly getting there but now I have another, small problem. Well to install ndiswrapper I need a correct kernel. I checked my (it is 2.6.8.1-12mdk). I seem to have to download the kernel source because when i write in
    Code:
    make install
    it tells me that it is unable to do it because he can't find kernel source. I searched internet for it but (I think,) I was unable to find the rigth source.

Place I look in. It migh be that the source is in there but I am unable to judge which.

Quote Originally Posted by Xargos
    Ok, I am slowly getting there but now I have another, small problem. Well to install ndiswrapper I need a correct kernel. I checked my (it is 2.6.8.1-12mdk). I seem to have to download the kernel source because when i write in
    Code:
    make install
    it tells me that it is unable to do it because he can't find kernel source. I searched internet for it but (I think,) I was unable to find the rigth source.

Place I look in. It migh be that the source is in there but I am unable to judge which.
    Hi - To make install you have to be root ... like this
    ./configure
    make
    su
    <your_password>
    make install

And you have to have make installed (it's another utility). To check this type man make

Installing from source can be hard work for a newbie and you might be better looking for an rpm file. Congrats on finding such a scary avatar. It might actually put people off visiting your threads!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    ./configure
    make
    su
    <your_password>
    make install
    That is exactly what I have done. After I clicked enter on "make install" it came up he can not find kernel source. I have found something on internet, so I will check it.

PS. Are you serious about my avatar? I used it on every forum I am loged on and it seems ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Xargos
    That is exactly what I have done. After I clicked enter on "make install" it came up he can not find kernel source. I have found something on internet, so I will check it.

PS. Are you serious about my avatar? I used it on every forum I am loged on and it seems ok.
    He he ... semi-serious about your av. You don't have to pay any attention to me if you don't want to.

Your kernel source files should be on your installation disk btw. With Mandriva they aren't installed by default for some reason. They contain 'header files' which a C programme needs to install some things from source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast