Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed mandrake 9.0 which is three years old. yes i know, UPDATE...well im in the process of getting Mandriva 2006 from a buddy who owns a shop and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nembie to mandrake/mandriva

I recently installed mandrake 9.0 which is three years old. yes i know, UPDATE...well im in the process of getting Mandriva 2006 from a buddy who owns a shop and has the 80 dollar DVD mandriva 2006. he is selling me it for 10 dollars. i will update here soon.

i have one question for now...and this is:
    How do i extract zip files such as The Gimp brushes?
    what are the command lines or do i even use shell?
    Does anyone know anything like problems with running an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 graphics card?

Thank you
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by xvolcom
    i have one question for now...and this is:
    How do i extract zip files such as The Gimp brushes?
    what are the command lines or do i even use shell?
    Yes, you will use the shell from time to time. What do you mean by "what are the command lines?" Do you mean "what are some common shell commands I would use?" If so, here are some examples:

Code:
    ls 
    rm
    cd
    unzip
    Note these are just a handful of the thousands of possible commands you'll be able to use. LS lists the contents of a directory. CD changes the directory you're in. RM removes files. UNZIP does... well just what it says. To unzip a .ZIP file you'll use the unzip command. Note that although I used all CAPS in this paragraph, you'll want to use all lowercase when you actually enter the commands. UNIX/Linux shells are case sensitive.

Does anyone know anything like problems with running an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 graphics card?
    Nvidia is well supported in Linux. You shouldn't have any issues at all, and the retail version of Mandriva *may* even install the 3D accelerated Nvidia drivers for you. If it doesn't there's a tutorial in the "How-to" section of this forum that can walk you through it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

thanks

thank you
    i thought the shell commands were called command lines i read about them somewhere in the linux documentation.
    so this command will work

cd /mnt/cdrom
    unzip /mnt/cdrom/(zip file name).zip

??
    I am trying to learn about this stuff through the documentation but i guess im having problems finding what i need in it so thanks for the help!

and ive been told that linux runs better with a GeForce (2, 3, or 4) graphics card. i have a geforce 4 card and i am gonna install it for now and ill probably load linux on another system with my geforce fx 5500.

GForce 5500 runs great with Linux. I have PCLinuxOS installed, it uses the card better than windows does.

A nice site to learn CLI is:
    LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    http://www.linuxcommand.org/

You can even download the tutorial and play aorund with it on your computer.
    Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
    Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
    Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi

Just Joined!
    now that i am more acquainted to the shell and bash commands...i am up and loaded with mandriva 2006 and i have an intel V92 external modem and am trying to get PengAOL to run..if you have any input on this because i havent done anything to it because im not sure how to