Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i'm trying to install a monitoring sofware ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm with the urpmi ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm command and i get this error error registering local packages What do i do wrong? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install with urpm

Hi, i'm trying to install a monitoring sofware ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm
    with the
    urpmi ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm command and i get this error

error registering local packages

What do i do wrong?

i copied the software on the desktop from the cd and i installed urpm from the Mandrake dvd

Thanks

Hi -

Once urpmi is installed, all you need to do is put the cd in the drive, open a terminal (you need to be root) and type urpmi ktemperature

With luck it should install from the cd.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    i get this
    "unable to acces rpm file ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm"
    maybe because its i686 for intel and i got a amd cpu?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by gm__
    i get this
    "unable to acces rpm file ktemperature-1.9.1-0.i686 .rpm"
    maybe because its i686 for intel and i got a amd cpu?
    That's unlikely to be the reason. I also have an AMD chip but most packages will install on my box (lucky me! ) A couple of possible things which may be wrong:

* urpmi can't find the information it needs on your system to install anything;
    * your cd isn't mounted: your system thinks of everything as a file (even your hardware).

Type this in a terminal: mount

Type man urpmi.addmedia in a terminal. This might be useful later on. Don't break your heart reading it though (I know what manuals can do to your head!)

Typing mount will list all the mounted devices on your system. Post the output here and I'll see if I can work something out. Anyone else's input welcome as I'm not great with urpmi and I usually install differently!

Installing software is a bit of a hurdle if you're a newbie, but you'll find it much easier in time. Another method (the one I use most of the time) is to put the rpm on your desktop (as you did earlier) and right click it. Then you get the option to 'Open with > Software installer'. Select this and you are prompted for you root password. Enter this and select 'Install'. If things are good to go, the package will install.

Sometimes things don't work because *another* package(s) is / are required. These are 'dependencies' and are a fact of life using Linux.

So there's more than one way!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks Fingal but in the meantime i reinstalled it (Mandrake 10.1) 'cause i was having a boot problem too and now it asks me a password, though i chose nopassword at the install, if i type something it refuses it...

I will try to reinstall it

Quote Originally Posted by gm__
    Thanks Fingal but in the meantime i reinstalled it (Mandrake 10.1) 'cause i was having a boot problem too and now it asks me a password, though i chose nopassword at the install, if i type something it refuses it...

I will try to reinstall it
    That's fine, but remember that passwords are an essential part of your security and that you should really have two: one is your root password (very important) and the other is your user password. You might find - like me - that you mix them up sometimes.

Some hints from experience (and a bit of reading). Chose passwords which are at least 8 characters long. These should never be dictionary words, and they should be alpha-numeric.

To figure out a password, think of a memorable sentence. Eg., "I went into the town to pick up my kids". Take the first letter of each word, and where possible convert words into numbers: I=1 to=2 etc. So maybe that sentence could be:

1w1tttpumK

I added an uppercase character. Just thought I'd write this while I sit here.

Just Joined!
    Hehe yeah that sure is a good idea if you are connected to the internet,
    but if you're not, that will only be a pain to think of it and type it everytime.
    So in that matter i give the score to Windows who let you choose.
    And by the way that doesnt make a lot of sense that they give you the option of nopassword in the install and then they ask you for password, pretty strange.
    Anyway i reinstalled it and i managed to install the software with this method
    of yours
    "Another method (the one I use most of the time) is to put the rpm on your desktop (as you did earlier) and right click it."
    now i only need to figure out where it is and how to make it work...

Thanks again i really appreciate your help.