Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I recently downloaded Mandriva 2006 Free Edition and got it installed and running (almost) perfectly on my system. I only have a few questions... how do I tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless networking question!

Hey guys, I recently downloaded Mandriva 2006 Free Edition and got it installed and running (almost) perfectly on my system. I only have a few questions... how do I tell Mandriva (or whatever the program it is that runs the Centrino wireless ability) to automatically recieve the WEP key, just as you would with Windows XP's wireless ability? I am a learning newbie to Mandriva and the whole UNIX environment, so if you could please tell me the commands I might need to place in the command prompt or what to set in the GUI, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

on mine i just right click on the network monitor in the taskbar and select configure wireless networks. that pops up a window that allows me to configure all of the wireless networks i can see at the moment. i only have to configure each once just as in XP after that if i save it it remembers it for the next time.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    on mine i just right click on the network monitor in the taskbar and select configure wireless networks. that pops up a window that allows me to configure all of the wireless networks i can see at the moment. i only have to configure each once just as in XP after that if i save it it remembers it for the next time.
    my problem is i do not know how to enable Automatic WEP retrieval, as in the Windows XP feature of "Windows will Automatically Retrieve the WEP key". the network i am on does not give out the WEP key, they only tell us to enable that automatic feature. i have connected my wireless network to my network at home, only because i knew what the wep key was.