Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright people the malfunction lies in my inability to install rpms on my computer (at least i think so) i have had '06 Free installed before on my 200gb 8200 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Issues relatating to 'sytax error' on trying to install and configure bootloader('06)

Alright people the malfunction lies in my inability to install rpms on my computer (at least i think so) i have had '06 Free installed before on my 200gb 8200 rpm hdd on a dell 4600(or 4700) with integrated sound and video (it worked remember) but now this g-d computer refuses to cooperate with what im geussing is a iso corrupting the files within itself (the 06 free iso's that is) and im getting quite pissed after spending 6+ hours trying to get it to work.. im tired of XP/2000pro its really jsut not working out .. the syntax error just says and i quote ':syntax error' no more no less well.. i guess it says that it also is not going to work people please help me im at wits end .. thank you in advance.. youve been a helpful community
    Remember, i got these ISO files from the Mandriva site, so im assuming there not all f'd up...

dave

Whoa! Steady on El-Daveo, I can't quite figure out what you're doing. Are you installing 2006 completely from scratch again?

I see that you have a bootloader issue, but I can't tell at what point you're having a problem. Is it during or after you're installed? And which bootloader do you mean?

It's likely that the actual ISOs are okay (in principle) but they can have files missing sometimes. If you burned them to disk yourself, it can be an imperfect process. Sometimes you have to do that again at a slower burn speed.

Try not to stress out. I know what it's like when things go wrong, but the best thing is to stand back and let go of it a little bit. I speak from experience.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Alright... to the best of my knowledge it is just not working altogether.. nothing wants to install all kinds of stuff kernal files lib files.. i cant name them all .. (how many times i had to hit "ok go ahead even though

this isnt working" button.. it trys to installl three 3 files sets (i thinkthink these are the bootloaders.. its after it say 'configuring installation' (after it messes up all the files to start ^read above^)

all three 3 fail miserably then like i said it just tells me that its all messed up.. man i just dont know.. i know that isnt very helpful .. but seriously i must have messed up real big to get that many things tellin me 'no'.. although im quite used to having problems with rpms wheather it be a lib file or an invalid md5 checksum or

whatever (i ran into that alot trying to look for parts of directories and stuff (in a sense, all the stuff that makes the game/ app opperate) .. thats another thread though.. but yeah im not real sure what to do.. and if your wondering why im so irrate.. its probably something to do with microsoft goofin my harddrive (a good one) and me loosin litterally months worth of 'dishonest' software.. ugh.. pain in the ass.. heh..

thats all i can gather.. i will have to reburn the ISO's i smashed the others with a hammer. haha
    and yes .. COMPLETELY from scratch (i hate when a 16 min. max. installation takes that long.)
    in regards to the bootlaoder: the 'when' .. its before i get to the (right before) the 'configure bootloader'

i really doubt this is the problem but maybe that im using the I586 and not the x86_64? i have a pentium 4 and i know (pretty sure im sposed to use i586..) but maybe this is the problem?

Just another question.. what iso mounting software should i use (i know your not dumb but remmber its not a virtual drive *wink.. i never was fond of nero...

THANK YOU

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi again - Sounds like a difficult problem. I think re-burning the ISOs again at a slower speed would help. I use k3b for doing that (it's a good piece of kit) and as I don't use Windows at home anymore, that's all I know how to use.

There's a chance that something's not exactly right with your hdd partitions. You'd be surprised how bad things are before you actually notice a problem. For example, my hdd has a strange unused partition on it which I only found out about a few months ago. It causes some issues for me.

It would be worth getting hold of a Knoppix live cd, booting from that (you need to change the boot order in your BIOS) and running QTParted. Why? If it looks like you can resize partitions easily then that shows that things aren't too bad. That's just my slightly 'different' approach.

It would be well worth learning about fsck (file system check). You could perhaps run that from Knoppix on your hdd partitions, assuming you don't have any data you want to keep on there at this point. I don't think fsck is *risky* by default, but backing data up is always good if you can (and remind me about that ... I'm bad at it!)

Then try a fresh install.

Hope that helped a little. fsck link / GNU Wipe can be useful too.

I think you can install i586 on a x86_64 but not the other way around, so I doubt that's the problem. Once you get things are running, if you have Mandriva 2006 it's worth learning about the 'Smart' package management tool. That's something I'm also looking into ... it handles rpms, and other wierd and wonderful packages.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just for your general information.. alot of this i am quite new with although i am reletivley well aquainted with linux just not all the 'bells and whistles' i have never used anything other than Mandriva (sorry to say, im a novice ugh..)

To be quite honest i HAVE to use ISOs to put anything on a disc (that is if it is Linux related .. windows.. no prob.. i mean windows is 'ok' if i dont have to use it (i do at this point) but come on man .. like i said.. its 'easy' (Whindows that is) but its alot like a piece of floating swiss cheese.. full of holes.. but it just wont go away.. im pretty sick of using 2kpro or Xpsp2 its a pain

Now onto the important things:
    your saying 'Knoppix' Live cd right? .. well ok .. i try and get ahold of it.. but should i use that to make the partitions and then switch to Mandrive 06? if so.. ok.. how should i set up my hdd

a partition with mount called
    ' \ '

another with

' \user '

and then a swap say about 1600mb?

what do these partitions do? how big should they be.. and so on?.. (oh and by the way i failed to notice all the times in less recent posts that you have help me greatly thanks so much for that ) how many should i have? (partitions)

i look at alot of tutorials.. (most just get me confused.. im not what you would call a 'nOOb' entirely i know more about Windows than my shop teacher) (12th grade... woo..) but seriously though .. i need some serious help in some areas mainly because this OS is just so damn expansive... i dont know what the i should install software wise (not OS.. i like Mandrake/driva or whatever you wanna call it..

Mind you i get alot of music/videos media of all kinds really.. (keep in mind whilest the hdd partition help) This is a space issue.. in regards to the mass media content of my pc.. thanks on that one.. ill have to wait till i get home to get the knoppix live cd.. its only like 829am over here hahaha... probly like 4-5pm over there

As far as mounting (burning) tools go .. i would be thrilled if you gave me some info on MS burning tools (if you can) .. all mine appearently suck.. haha

1 more thing:
    should i be using the i586 or the x86_64 version (Intel pentium 4 remember)

Ill get to this when i get home thank you very much for your time

As a side note.. i just look for Knoppix Live CD and came up with pretty much nothing (im not aloud to use paypal im 17 and my parents dont believe in buying over the Inet) so where can i get it?

Oh that's okay - as someone said somewhere, 'We're all newbies to
    a greater or lesser extent'.

About Knoppix. Well, no. I'm not suggesting you use it to make
    the partitions, because the Mandriva installer will do that for
    you. I just had an idea that it might be useful to do a bit of
    maintenance on your hdd (maybe Windows has left some files behind
    ... I can't tell).

Partitions? Not everyone would set them up the same way, but I
    would have root / on a separate partition. Swap space? About
    1000mb if you have a large hdd. About 500MB for a small one. Have
    a separate /home partition as well. That way if you reinstall
    Mandriva you'll keep your important files: that is, everything in
    /home/el_daveo/Desktop and all the sub directories.

I think it's a good idea to plan your partition sizes before you
    install. I would make some notes (it really helps a lot) and if
    you have a lot of large media files, they really eat up your disk
    space. It's not easy to decide, but suppose you had a 120GB hdd.
    You need plenty of room for system files in / so perhaps do it
    like:

/ = 40GB
    swap = 10GB
    /home = 70GB

I would skip having a separate partition for /usr You need to
    allow for plenty of room in / for additional software, but keep
    plenty in /home for large files. So you might decide to have a
    bit less in / and a bit more in /home It's your call.

If you like media files, then installing Kaffeine, or Totem is
    good. XMMS seems to be missing from Mandriva 2006, but there's a
    package called Beep somewhere out there which I hear is good.

MS burning tools? Believe it or not I've never used any. I have
    no idea. All my media stuff is done with Linux now. In fact, I
    only started doing media files using Linux.

As for i586 or x86_64 it depends on your chip. If you are using a
    64 bit chip then you can still install an i586 Linux. If you have
    a i586 chip, don't try to install a 64 bit version: it just won't
    work at all.

I think having Knoppix is useful though. Good luck!

Hey funny you should mention hardrive planning.. try mapping and catagorizing a harddrive partition before you ever even install the OS.. i did that with wink2kpro i mean .. EVERYTHING.. hey thanks.. i wll see what i can do.. so basically what we have resolved this to is 1'burn at a slower rate' 2'redownload and mount isos' 3'keep talking to you and finnally get somewhere' .. thank you .. ill tell you what happens

1 other small ? .. alright.. i use gnome.. 2is there something better i should use..? 3is there any way to only install 1 desktop gui/environment (x, kde, gnome, icewrm, etc.. )? i hate having all the shizzit in the way when i turn on the computer .. the same question comes to mind ' hmmm.. which one which one.. ugh.. ' i end up at a loss.. haha

thanks again.. ill keep ya posted

ps.. i whipped up a shortcut to dload knoppix live.. thanks again x 2

Hello again,

Yes, your summary is accurate (makes me sound like Mr. Spock). I think forward planning before installing is a good idea because once you have a stable system with all those files on there, you don't want to risk losing them by having to undo everything again.

Yep - When you install you should have an option to select the desktop environments you want. In many ways I think you're right. You'll save disk space and run a cleaner system with just Gnome or whatever you pick. It's a matter of preference ... some like one, some like the other and a lot of people use all of them from time to time! I prefer KDE myself ... I just find it to be flexible and friendly. Others will differ. It's good to have a choice because whatever you pick, it's going to be easy - and fun - to customise.

Yeah ... let us know how you get on. I hope you get a good result. Also, I think you'll like Knoppix. It's a great little distro in its own right. You will run into problems from time to time (after all, computers are stupid) but patience brings rewards.

Heres the lowdown. Mandriva is very much installed .. thats great!.. one small problem... ok i have a Zen micro 5 or 6 gb mp3 player that i know for sure works for linux a little program called Gnomad can be found at this address

gnomad2.sourceforge.net/

im running into dependancy issues that i was hoping you could help me solve.. very distressful (Mp3 player = Life ) but yeah interesting stuff.. the one rpm i got ahold of said something about a urpmi database being 'locked' and (duh) wouldnt install .. but yeah.. a bit of vulgarities inssued but thats not important.. pleaase assist

thanks much

Hi again

I should warn you I've been out on the town, so if any of
    this fails to make sense there's a good reason! Well, it's
    Friday ...

Okay. I would install this one from source (or at least
    try). The rpm you downloaded is packaged up source code
    which won't get you very far. You need to install files
    which the source package depends on, and do it in the right
    order:

libusb
    libnjb
    libid3tag
    gtk+-2.0
    libgnomeui

The chances are you already have some of those packages
    installed. To figure out what you have you can search for
    them on your system. My search technique is simple. I use a
    terminal, and this is just an example. Substitute
    whichever file name is appropriate:

su
    password
    find / -name *libusb* -print

That should allow you to search your entire directory tree
    for each file you specify.

Then it's a case of finding each file using Google,
    downloading, and your old friends:

./configure
    su
    password
    make
    make install
    make clean

Then try and install Gnomad. Any problems, post here. I
    hope this works. The chances are that if you're using Gnome
    then gtk will already be on your system.

Some of those library fies might be on your installation cds. It's worth looking at that and using Mandriva's built in package management. Okay ... time to take some rest.