Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to dual boot WinXP(i need it for stuff..even though i hate Windows) and Mandrake Linux 10.1. I went through the install and all seemed to go well. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Mandrake Linux 10.1 Reboots

I am trying to dual boot WinXP(i need it for stuff..even though i hate Windows) and Mandrake Linux 10.1. I went through the install and all seemed to go well. The bootloader menu comes up and i choose linux. The screen shows .......... and then says bios data check successful. After that my pc simply reboots. I tried failsafe as well..but still no go. My WindowsXP still works fine. Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I think your initial init setup is set to "init 0" ... don´t see how that´s possible but it could be your problem. It doesn´t give any error messages, does it? It just reboots after the bios check?

Cheers,

Rob.

Just Joined!
    nope..no errors it just restarts

Just Joined!
    The only logical explanation would be that 'init' is set to ´init 0' instead of 'init 3 or 5' (init 0 means it'll reboot, init 3 = CLI and init 5 = X11). I don´t know how to change that if you can´t even log in. Did you manually modify the 'inittab' file in /etc/ ?

mmm .. you probaly messed it up during the installation of Mandrake.

Cheers,

edit: woops .. yeah .. init 6 is reboot .. rofl .. ah well.

Rob.

Just Joined!
    Could i change it using a live cd?

Update: I just checked and it is set to 5. I went to LILO and pressed escape..i tried booting linux 1,2,3,4,5 and none worked.

Just Joined!
    Honestly, I don´t know. I highly doubt it because I don´t think you can change system critical files using a live cd. Maybe you can log in as root, maybe not. Try it.

Yes you will be able to change it using a live cd. Just browse to that file in the mounted partition and with root privelages change the setting. For reference - init 6 is reboot - init 0 is halt.

Just Joined!
    Read my update

This is something I hate suggesting - so apologies for the inconvenience. If you're having this much trouble I'm guessing one of two problems -
    • Kernel was not installed properly or some critical files are missing
    • There is some hardware causing the issue
    I'm not so sure this is the second - Have you tried reinstalling Mandrake? For the 45 minutes it'll take, it may be the simplest way out.

Just Joined!
    All the hardware checked ok during the install, so i am going to just try reinstalling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast