Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newbie alert. I installed mandriva 2006 for athlon 64. It correctly detects the ethernet card as nforce mcp51, but when I try to configure the forcedeth driver the control center ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mcc flashes, does nothing when activating ethernet

Newbie alert.
    I installed mandriva 2006 for athlon 64. It correctly detects the ethernet card as nforce mcp51, but when I try to configure the forcedeth driver the control center seems to crash, sending me from the autoprobe option back to manually select the driver.
    I tried to resolve this by using a different driver, the one from nvidia. I installed that okay and even established the connection. But I can only surf a few pages before it seems to disconnect. I go to a desktop tool that allows me to "monitor connection" or something, which tells me I indeed have no connection. Also, the hardware detector now hangs, where before it worked.
    My connection is a high speed cable from the suite upstairs. XP uses it no problem, no configuration necessary.
    Thanks for any direction, I want my life back!

Just Joined!
    Come on people! Why would the network device only sporadically connect? I've taken so much advice but none seems to fit my pathological computer.

Just Joined!

thrown in the towel

I'm quite all right talking to myself here. From much searching of forums, the long and short appears to be that Linux x86_64 + nVidia chipset = grief (something about APIC, APCI, and ethernet not coexisting?). It came to the point where I decided to just wipe out the Linux partition and reinstall XP, which had also started acting funny with the network controller. I've since learned that athlon 64 doesn't require x86_64, but can use a 32-bit OS just as well. Some day, when motivation returns, I'll just install a 32-bit linux on another partition and probably all network drivers will behave.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    For what it's worth, I am having the exact same problem with Madriva. Had the exact same problem with SuSE.

So far, this is the only thing keeping me from loving Linux.