Find the answer to your Linux question:
My current project is to get sound working on my system, I've got so far with it, but don't know where to go from here. I couldn't configure sound during ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Getting sound working

My current project is to get sound working on my system, I've got so far with it, but don't know where to go from here.

I couldn't configure sound during the install, so I ran sndconfig and went through the steps there. I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 which has a Crystal 4236B sound chip built in to the mother board. Dell are nice enough to give a small Linux Sound how-to for the GX1 on Redhat here, which doesn't really do alot as they just tell you to run sndconfig.

Now that went well as I can here the sound sample, so all seems good.

Still no sound from applications or system (KDE) though.

So I went to KDE sound system configuration to see what I could do, regardless of what settings I use I get this;

Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Similar messages with /dev/audio and dev/sound/audio for the device location.

The sound card, not being a PCI device does not show up with lspci and is also not detected in hardrake, also in sndconfig it is not detected 'no PnP or PCI sound cards were detected'. But I can then enter the chipset and can here the sound sample - which is the only sound I get.

Any thoughts?

Try running alsaconf by hand. Then run the alsa init script, and run alsamixer and unmute everything.

Linux User
    OK, I had to install the alsaconf package, ran that and sound is working now. I love it when things go easy. Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    On another note, do you know where the system sound files are kept? Or some clue to their general location? I want Opera mail to give a little beep or something when I receive a message, but I need to link it to a sound file to do so.