Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this prob......I installed UT 2004 onto mandriva but whenever I try to play it the game goes to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

UT on Mandriva

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this prob......I installed UT 2004 onto mandriva but whenever I try to play it the game goes to load then dies off due to an error, I would like to be more specific on the error but it doesn't say what it is just that there is one.
    I personally think it has to do with the fact that UT didn't ask for the play disc at the end of the install phase like it normally does on windows and Redhat 9.

Try opening a console and launching UT from there. That should allow you to see a more detailed error message.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I tried that before I cam and posted and it just said Exited due to error and thats it. Sorry I can't provide anymore information then that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you installed 3D drivers for your display card?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ........ummmmm no I couldn't get them to work I figured the default driver that matched my card would have worked good enough.....the error I got when I tried to install my graphics driver was error no precompiled kernal detected.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalChaos
    ........ummmmm no I couldn't get them to work I figured the default driver that matched my card would have worked good enough.....the error I got when I tried to install my graphics driver was error no precompiled kernal detected.
    That's your problem. You can't run UT (or any other 3D application) unless you've properly installed the 3D drivers for your display card. I assume you have an Nvidia card? If so, follow these instructions:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

The error you were getting was because you didn't have the source code for your kernel installed. Open up Mandriva Control Center and go to "Add Software". Then search for "kernel". There should be a package called "kernel-source". That's what you need.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ooook I tried installing all that other stuff so I could install the vid driver and it gave me the pre-comiled kernel error but continued through the installation, I got UT installed and tried runing it the game seemed to be fine then it gave me a new error (Segmentation Fault) then quit.

oh yeah in case you needed to know my vidcard is an Nvidia FX 5200 128 DDR, Im runing mandriva 2006 on dual boot with XP pro and I have a Sempron 3100+ 64-Bit . Im also wondering how to get cedega time demo working I can get it installed but I can't seem to get it to run.

Look for the latest patch on the UT website:

http://www.unrealtournament.com

That might fix your Seg fault problem.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by EternalChaos
    Im also wondering how to get cedega time demo working I can get it installed but I can't seem to get it to run.
    Regarding this, i noted that when i installed the time demo it gave me a shortcut which pointed to /usr/bin/cedega_timedemo (or something similar) but that the binary was actually located in /home/*/bin. Not sure if that's related.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    not sure if I did it right but I extracted the files and then copied and pasted them into the UT game folder. This time when I tried to open the game I still got the segmentation fault error that I got before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast