Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im using Mandriva 2006 free and recently I wanted to install wxGTK cause it is needed by aMule, the problem I ran into is that during ./configure it complains ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

reinstalling without destroying dependent packages

Hi, im using Mandriva 2006 free and recently I wanted to install wxGTK cause it is needed by aMule, the problem I ran into is that during ./configure it complains that there is no gtk+-2.0.pc file. This file is said to get installed with GTK+. I do have GTK+ installed by default but there is no gtk+-2.0.pc file on my system indeed. I thougt about uninstalling the mandriva GTK+ and compiling it myself, but the mandriva software manager wants to uninstall a lot of packages with it. Now I really don't know what to do. I don't even know whether there is any sense in what I attempted.

Hello - You're right to be cautious. If you uninstall those packages a lot of things on your system will break. Typically these will be packages which you're going to need very soon. I speak from (recent) experience.

I don't know about that file, but what I do know is that a lot of apps require the development version of GTK. This might be where that file is from, and the dev. version may be included on your Mandriva dvd/CD.

I would install that and try again. Alternatively Google for that file name and see if that sheds any light.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    thanks, after some researching I thnik I may indeed need gtk2-devel to get that file. I am wondering whether I could have both gtk2 and gtk2-devel installed at the same time?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by michnik
    thanks, after some researching I thnik I may indeed need gtk2-devel to get that file. I am wondering whether I could have both gtk2 and gtk2-devel installed at the same time?
    You certainly can. Good luck with this.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    but where to get gtk2-dev from?
    i've searched the google and nothing

Quote Originally Posted by michnik
    but where to get gtk2-dev from?
    i've searched the google and nothing
    Hi - Trying searching on libgtk2.0-dev and look for an rpm file. Easier to install.

Question Where is this rpm??

Good tip, fingal. Problem is, after a lot of googling, I can only find it on Mandriva devel cooker for ia64
    Since I have been previously warned about cooker archives being unstable I am not happy about using this file.

gtk.org/download has a source version but that would mean bypassing urpmi. hence problems if I ever want to uninstall.

Any idea just where I might find it?

Just Joined!

Gtk

The web site given below will give the required package in RPM format for Mandriva
    Linux. Just try once:

http://www.seerofsouls.com/

http://rpm.pbone.net/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vilas2006
    The web site given below will give the required package in RPM format for Mandriva
    Linux. Just try once:

http://www.seerofsouls.com/

http://rpm.pbone.net/
    Hey, thanks vilas. Will try and come back