Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good afternoon(my time) all. I am currently running Mandriva 2006 and have a working http server. I am trying to get ftp working. I have been searching for days on-line ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with setting up an FTP server

Good afternoon(my time) all.

I am currently running Mandriva 2006 and have a working http server. I am trying to get ftp working. I have been searching for days on-line as well as on my system. I do not seem to have any ftp daemon running or even located on the system. I have tried urpmi ftpd and get a "no package named ftpd" message returned. I have searched the install DVD I made from the ISO I downloaded and still find nothing.

Not sure where else to turn at this point. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI I am still somewhat new to running Linux so let me know if there are any additional things you might need to know.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    If I remeber right 2006 does not come with an FTP server. Why they took it out from 2005 Limited I don't know. But I'm sure you can get the package needed from online. I am using 2005 Limited on my Web/FTP server. I use Proftpd as thats what 2005 comes with. There may be others that people recomend but Proftpd is a place to start. Good Luck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialoutcast
    If I remeber right 2006 does not come with an FTP server. Why they took it out from 2005 Limited I don't know. But I'm sure you can get the package needed from online. I am using 2005 Limited on my Web/FTP server. I use Proftpd as thats what 2005 comes with. There may be others that people recomend but Proftpd is a place to start. Good Luck.
    If that is true, then I am a little shocked. I can't believe they would take the FTP server out of the package. Not only that, but why would they have you check the box marked Web/FTP under the server listings on the initial install if there is no FTP server to install.

Anyone else have information on this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon
    I have tried urpmi ftpd and get a "no package named ftpd" message returned.
    This should install Proftp on Mandriva 2006:
    Code:
    urpmi proftpd
    You can then start Proftp with:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/proftpd start