Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey all, i got mandriva 2006 just installed on my computer about a week ago, and i just installed it on my sisters computer yesterday. we both have the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless card problems

hey all, i got mandriva 2006 just installed on my computer about a week ago, and i just installed it on my sisters computer yesterday. we both have the same wireless card, which is the "Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card". it detected the card just fine on my computer, i didnt have to use ndiswrapper or anything, it had the driver already. and the name of the driver was, 802.11b/g Wireless PCI Adapter VT6102 ... blah blah , and when i went to set it up on her computer, it didnt detect that driver for her card. and when i went into the mandriva control center on her computer, and went to hardware config, it showed under ethernet:
    BCM4318 [Air Force One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Adapter,

so it is obviously reading that there is a card there. but i cant get it to connect to the internet on her comp.
    keep in mind i am obviously a linux new bee. =]
    is there any suggestions of solutions you could possibly give to me or help me out with my problem.
    thanx.

it could be that the manufacturer decided ot use different chips in the card, so that might be why it shows up differently.

One thing you can try is plug your sister's card into your computer and see how Mandriva detects it. Otherwise use ndiswrapper on your sister's computer and see if that helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Are you sure that their is not a built in wireless card on her computer?
    If she already has wireless built in Mandriva will probably us that one instead of the external card.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by maebjkcaz
    BCM4318 [Air Force One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Adapter
    If you want the driver for that^ card I can send it to you, for I have the same card in my laptop. You'll load it with ndiswrapper.

>+< Kamisamanou

Just Joined!
    yes please, could you send it to me. you can contact me on MSN or AIM or E-Mail it to me.
    how about my AIM: uuaprotokall

If I were you I wouldnt post your email on a public forum - it's just asking for penis enlargement emails. Unless that really doesn't bother you, I'd edit your post to remove it.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    LOL!! thats true, thanx for the advise, but im still having problems with the card...and its not an internall wireless, its a PCI card that i put in myself. its says its there under the hardware config, but when i go to set up the wireless connection, the only options that i have are, "Manually load a driver" and "Load a windows driver (ndiswrapper)" and ive tried both. i tried loading the windows driver with ndiswrapper with the CD but that didnt work. so i have no idea. Her wireless card works just fine with windows...so i know that it is working, just some reason linux is having a problem with it.

did you try switching the cards, you said they were the same. This is in order to determine wether the cards do infact use different chipsets. Otherwise, take a look at this page to see if you can get any other driver for it (try searching for one which uses the same chipset).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.