Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed Mandriva 2006 Free on my Windows XP machine (dual-booting) and everything is fine except the internet. I connect through a D-Link router to a cable connection. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cannot connect to internet

Hi,

I have installed Mandriva 2006 Free on my Windows XP machine (dual-booting) and everything is fine except the internet. I connect through a D-Link router to a cable connection. It is not wireless. Under Windows, everything is fine, but when I get into Linux, I can't access anything. The connection uses DHCP.

Here are the results of some commands that I ran:

ifconfig
    Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:DC:9E:91:FA
              inet addr:192.168.0.115  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::210:dcff:fe9e:91fa/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
              Interrupt:23 Base address:0x8000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:109 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:109 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:9539 (9.3 KiB)  TX bytes:9539 (9.3 KiB)
    route
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     10     0        0 eth0
    default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    10     0        0 eth0
    ping
    [paul@localhost Desktop]# ping www.google.com
    ping: unknown host www.google.com

I also checked the contents of resolv.conf. The entire contents are as follows:
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    This makes sense to me; the router's IP address is 192.168.0.1.

I've tried a lot to get this thing to work, but it ain't happenin. I had the same issue on Debian, too.

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. If you need more info I will be happy to supply it.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    try changing it to a static ip, and make sure that you give them Host Names, when it prompts you. i had a similar problem, i also got it to work with DHCP, make sure you dont give a DHCP host name, have it obtain it automatically.
    sorry its only a little bit of help, but i am also new. i dont know a whole lot about linux yet =D still learning

Just Joined!
    OH YEAH! aaannndd.... dont forget to reboot after you set up the connection, cant tell you how many times i thought something was wrong when all i had to do was reboot. good luck.

Just Joined!
    I have tried giving it a static IP. I used the Configure Network dialog in Gnome 2.10. It's currently using DHCLIENT. I gave it the following info:

• IP--192.168.0.115
    • Network mask--255.255.255.0
    • Gateway--192.168.0.1

Didn't give it a host name. Also, I'm sure that the IP I gave it is not already in use. And I have restarted many, many times.

Shouldn't the gateway be 192.168.1.1 ? (dunno, it migth depend on your router)
    If you put that address in a browser-window do you get the route-config page?

Also shouldn't the resolv.conf contain the actual nameserver-addresses for your internet-provider? On my system i get 2 addresses (not the gateway).
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Linux User
    Can you ping the router? Then like muha says try entering the router address in a browser window.

If you can access your router but not the web, try restarting the network by rebooting the router and then your PC.

Also see if you can ping a domain by IP address rather than name - try 64.233.167.99 (google.com) - just to be sure your DNS connection is OK.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by muha
    Shouldn't the gateway be 192.168.1.1 ? (dunno, it migth depend on your router)
    The router is definitely at 192.168.0.1. I've configured it many times using the web-based interface. I have not tried to access it from within Linux -- I should give that a shot and see what happens. But that is its address, for sure.

I will try to edit resolv.conf. But how do I find out what the nameserver address is for my internet provider? I have Comcast (not that it matters).

give your ISP a call, or check their site ..
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Did you give the computer a static IP with the dlink comtrol panel? If not then you need a static IP outside the DHCP range, my guess is that your static IP should be changed to 192.168.0.5 but it has been a while since I have used dlink routers. And your gateway should be the IP of the router, in this case 192.168.0.1. Oh and one more thing, what happens when you try to ping your router or other computers on the network?
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright