Find the answer to your Linux question:
Mach. was shut down bec. of a power outage and now when i try to reboot it won't boot into the gui but gives me a Unable ot load fixed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to load fixed fonts

Mach. was shut down bec. of a power outage and now when i try to reboot it won't boot into the gui but gives me a
    Unable ot load fixed fonts
    msg.

Have been searching the net now for some 5 hrs. & still unable to find a solution. It was also giving a msg of

Unable to start glx.a module, but changed the conf file to glx.so and it stopped complaining about that...

Any idea what next? Thanks! and have a great morning!

Am running Mandriva 2006 free

Just Joined!
    I'm not the answer-man by any means, but I ran into a similar problem, couldn't boot into X no matter what I did. After hours of trying to figure it out I finally bit the bullet and stuck the OS disc into my cdrom and prepared to reinstall the entire system. At the last second I opted for the "Upgrade" option just out of curiosity. A few minutes later I got the message to remove the disc and reboot. I did, and much to my surprise there was my desktop. The error I kept getting sounds like yours, that it couldn't open a 'fixed' font or something. Don't know if my solution would work for you or not, but it seems to have gotten me up and running again. I had to reconfigure a few things like my network connection and samba, but other than that things seem to be working okay. Good luck.