Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm brand new to using the Linux OS, and Mandriva is my first install. I've been doing relatively well. By following the instructions given I've been able to figure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Open Office 2.0.2 install problem

Hey,

I'm brand new to using the Linux OS, and Mandriva is my first install. I've been doing relatively well. By following the instructions given I've been able to figure out how to do most of everyting, but I have two problems with OO.

First was a mistake on my part. I forgot to delete one of the rpm's for another ditro before installing. Is this a bad thing? Or does it make no diference? And, if it is a bad thing, how do I go about removing the unwanted rpm?

The second problem is that I dont know how to create a shortcut to open OO 2.0.2. My d/l of Mandriva came with OO 1.1.5, but I would like to remove the old version and get the new one installed and running. So, how do I uninstall 1.1.5? And, how do I create the shortcut to target the OO 2.0.2 run file?

Any on another note, I was wondering if i could get a full list of the Konsole commands, with their appropriate switches, and what their functions are.

Thanks

Hi

Leaving rpms lying around on your system won't harm anything. To remove files you can either use a terminal (the command line) or use a file manager like Konqueror. To use a command line type:

rm <file_name> and if you aren't in your home directory that's going to be more like:
    su
    <your_password>
    rm <file_name>

Creating shortcuts is quite similar to the Windows method. Right click on your desktop and 'Create New' choose 'Link to application' and navigate to the executable file(s). When you installed Ooo should have added its components to your menu system. This might not be immediately obvious until you restart your machine.

Sometimes you can install Ooo using a Java installer which may give you the option to uninstall more easily. If not, you would need to find each Ooo application and delete it manually.

For console commands search the tutorials section of these forums. Sounds like you're doing pretty well so good luck with the rest of it!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much. That helps immensly. But, I do have one more problem. Where at the executables at after the install. I have restarted my system, but I do not know where they are. I dowonloaded the the tar file to /usr/local, from Konsole ran: "tar xvzf OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz" su'd to root. I then went to the rpm folder and ran: "rpm -Uvih *rpm" So, the question I now have is where are the executables for me to create the links to? Once again, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by mirax
    Thank you very much. That helps immensly. But, I do have one more problem. Where at the executables at after the install. I have restarted my system, but I do not know where they are. I dowonloaded the the tar file to /usr/local, from Konsole ran: "tar xvzf OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz" su'd to root. I then went to the rpm folder and ran: "rpm -Uvih *rpm" So, the question I now have is where are the executables for me to create the links to? Once again, thanks for the help.
    Not sure where they are by default but the best way to find them would be to browse using Konqueror (which is both a file manager for your GUI frontend and a web browser). You'll find that over time you will use both a terminal and a GUI to manage your files, combining the power of both. Look in:

/usr/bin

'bin' is short for binaries which is used in the UNIX world instead of 'executables' - Not that all binary files are executable. If you went into a terminal you could try:

cd /usr/bin
    ls -al

And it would list all the files and directories in there.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by mirax
    You shouldn't need to locate the executables. When you extracted OOo....tar.gz it created a folder where all the rpms were contained. That folder was labeled "RPMS" and had a subfolder known as "desktop-intergration". Go into that folder, find the Mandriva .rpm and click/double-click on it to install it. Then logout, log in, and Open Office should be located in your Office Tools submenu.