Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I have a feeling this is a very stupid question.. I just received my friend's PC with Mandriva installed on it, well anyways. Most of the files I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

file types?

Alright, I have a feeling this is a very stupid question.. I just received my friend's PC with Mandriva installed on it, well anyways. Most of the files I have tried to download alot of things linux compatable and they all come up with the open with dialogue, then what do i do?

What kinds of files are you trying to open? A lot of files needed to be manipulated through the command line.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    i686.rpm
    tar.gz

Linux Enthusiast
    *.tar.gz files are compressed files (like .zip in Windows) which need to be extracted first:
    Code:
    tar xfz somefile.tar.gz
    The extracted content will usually include instructions of how to install the program. Usually it's some "install.sh" (shell) script which you can run typing:
    Code:
    sh scriptname.sh
    Programs with*.rpm extensions can be installed typing:
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh programname.rpm

Just Joined!
    okay, and im getting this error. [geniks@localhost ~]$ rpm -Uvh '/home/geniks/Documents/amsn-0.95-3mdk.i686.rpm' error: Failed dependencies: tcl >= 8.4 is needed by amsn-0.95-3mdk.i686 tk >= 8.4 is needed by amsn-0.95-3mdk.i686 tcl is needed by amsn-0.95-3mdk.i686 tk is needed by amsn-0.95-3mdk.i686 so then i tried to install TCL and TK 8.4.. so i did.. and it still wont install same error.

You should try using urpmi, it will make installing programs much easier because it willl solve dependencies for you.

Check this link (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...re-readme.html) and scroll down to the 'Installing software on Mandrake with urpm' section for more information.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.