Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Has anyone had success getting mlb.tv to work streaming video to Linux (specifically Mandriva 2006? I've been trying for hours now. Can't get it to work in either Firefox 1.5 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MLB.tv realplayer and mplayerplugin

Has anyone had success getting mlb.tv to work streaming video to Linux (specifically Mandriva 2006? I've been trying for hours now. Can't get it to work in either Firefox 1.5 or Konqueror.

If you do have success stories please post them here and preferably step by step what you did to get it to work.

check out this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lug-in+mplayer

but basically you need: mplayer, essential codecs/win32codecs, mplayer plugin. You also need to copy the .so files of mplayer plugin in to your plugin directory for firefox. Also the .xpt files of mplayer plugin to your components directory for firefox.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    That process worked until April 1st, and still works on items (like the world baseball classic archive) that use their old media player, but does not work with the new media player. You can no longer watch mlb.tv or listen to gameday audio... or at least I can't.

Just Joined!

What a pain...

What a serious pain in the ass...I paid $80 for it and now it doesn't work at all.

can you install internet explorer through wine and install the codecs that way?
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!

I'll try

I'll give that a try and see how it goes

Just Joined!
    Even Crossover Office only supports Windows Media Player 6, and the site requires version 9. Is there a way to use mplayer through IE?

I have managed now to get the sound working by logging in first before clicking the link to listen/watch. It appears the problem isn't with the video playback, but with there being a layer of flash above it making it invisible. Seems that both the login prompt and the video itself is playing correctly but they're hidden from view by a big black area which a right click shows to be flash.

Yeah I've noticed that to. I can hear sound and it looks like the video is going to show then it disappears. I now believe the problem is that flash version 8 has been released for windows and I believe this is what that site is using. I have heard, on gentoo forums, that macromedia won't release version 8 for linux but is planning on releasing version 8.5 for linux which they are working on. So I guess for now we have to wait if this is the problem.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I don't think so -- all the flash videos on the site work fine, the whole site (which was also redesigned somewhat and presumably would be done for the same flash version) is flash and the only problem is with the media player. Also the system requirements page says flash 7: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/he...quirements.jsp

Plus there's the fact that sites which require flash 8 have always given me messages stating that I should download flash 8.

I'm not sure mlb.com's contact form works in firefox or opera, as it just reloads the page after submitting and I haven't got any replies.

Just Joined!
    Okay guys, I've got it working. Here's what you do:
    As Hoth said, log in before trying to view the media. There's a login link at the top of the main page.

Then, go into /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf (or wherever your mplayerplug-in config file is) and make sure you have the following line:
    Code:
    noembed=1
    This will cause mplayer to open in independent window and get it out from under the flash layer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast