Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed several graphical displays with my mandriva 2006, but how do you change between then? I run on KDE, but I really want to see what the others (gnome, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Some noob display/desktop questions

I installed several graphical displays with my mandriva 2006, but how do you change between then?
    I run on KDE, but I really want to see what the others (gnome, ++) look like.

Another thing I have wondered about:
    Is it possible to have several displays up at one time?
    And if it's possible, how do you do it and how to change between them?

Like this, for example:
    -----------------------------------------------
    |################|###############|
    |###Terminal 1######|###Terminal 2#####|
    -----------------------------------------------

Well - What you call a graphical display is really a desktop environment. To try the others out you need to install them (if you haven't already done so) and select it from your log-in screen when you boot Mandriva. There's a drop-down menu there which you might not have noticed.

You can have more than one desktop in any Linux distro, but you can't have Gnome and KDE running at the same time ... at least I've never heard of that happening before. Perhaps some Uber hacker out there does it all the time.

KDE and Gnome are good, but heavy on system resources. For some this doesn't matter, but if you want to run lighter and faster you could try Fluxbox, WindowMaker, Enlightenment etc ...

You can certainly have more that one terminal open at the same time ... But by 'terminal' I mean a command line environment which I would run from within a desktop environment like KDE. This is worth reading.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks for answering.

Since I have just emigrated from MS Windows, i don't know all the expressions, but I'm learning.

The reason why I haven't seen the drop down menu is probably bacause I only have one user an no password, but I'll mange that.

When it comes to why I'm asking about the commandline environmet is that im runing on a laptop, which isn't that fast.
    Could anyone post how you can get several command line environments in the same window?
    And how you cange between them?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you use Konsole - which is the programme you can use to run Bash (the Bourne Again Shell) you can open several different command lines and switch between them. This gives you more power and flexibility.

Open up Konsole - Look at the bottom left of the window. If you explore you'll find that you can open up different command lines in tabs. I think you can detach the tabs (I don't do that though) ... That way you can cut and paste commands between different windows ...

Even if you're using a gui, this is a good way to work IMHO. For example you could have 4 different terminals open (which you can give separate names to). In one you might use urpmi to download some stuff ... In another you might have Vim open for writing a script ... etc.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

For changing between terminals, use
    ctrl+alt+F1 to F6 (depending on how you configured your system). ctrl+alt+F7 will bring you back to the Desktop.

A security note. It is recommended to never set up a system without password-checking before you log in.