Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, i am running mandriva free 2006 and have just bought an okidata c5200dn. This wonderful printer has mac osx drivers (thats why i bought it) but they are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

okidata 5200n > mandiva 2006

hello all, i am running mandriva free 2006 and have just bought an okidata c5200dn. This wonderful printer has mac osx drivers (thats why i bought it) but they are wrapped up in a .bin installer that i cannot figure out what to do with.

i know that osx is a bsd. i know that it uses the cups printing system. i figure that if i can get the drivers out of this .bin i might be able to make this printer work with mandriva 2006.

i called okidata tech support and while they do support linux on "some" of their printers, when i tell them it is a c5200dn and i am running linux they immidiatly stop the conversation telling me they are not permitted to even attempt any kind of linux support for this printer. I got this from a level 2 engineer.

so here i am trying to find out what to do with an osx .bin

Did you check www.linuxprinting.org if there is already a driver available for your printer?

that was my first stop. after that i called okidata and was informed that it is a gdi winprinter. I spent several hours trying to convince them that if they made it work on osx then it can work on linux. all i need is the source code. they refused of course. so i am stuck with osx ppc drivers. if only i could figure out how to get to them. they are buried in an installer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close