Find the answer to your Linux question:
trying to install linux mandrake 10.1, i got error when trying to make partition on linux. tryed to make different kind of linux partition with 3,5gb and swap partition about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing linux mandrake

trying to install linux mandrake 10.1, i got error when trying to make partition on linux. tryed to make different kind of linux partition with 3,5gb and swap partition about 500mb! when trying to make partition i get error that "cant write /tmp/" so is my harddrive broken or what i have make wrong?!

Hello - if your partition is only 3.5 GB (did I read that right?) then you don't have enough room to install. You just need a bigger hdd.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

more hdd space?

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Hello - if your partition is only 3.5 GB (did I read that right?) then you don't have enough room to install. You just need a bigger hdd.
    installation only shows that it requires about 1,4gb space? how much more do i need?

Hi - I think you need another 1 gig (though 0.5 might do it for a full installation). It's been a while since I installed from scratch, but I think there's an option to do a minimum install which takes up a lot less room.

It's not ideal to use a drive that size though IMHO. You could probably pick up a cheap one somewhere (let's say 20/30 gig) for not too much money. I have a spare one in fact - which I don't need - but it's old kit.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    that error comes when i try to save my partitions, so i think its not about the size of my hd.

Quote Originally Posted by holypanda
    that error comes when i try to save my partitions, so i think its not about the size of my hd.
    Okay then. At what point does the error occur during your installation? Are you using Mandriva's graphical installer? Do you definitely know that you definitely have enough room for a full install?

delete any partitions which may be on the drive, and use Mandrake's "auto allocate" feature to create and write the partition table for you.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Make sure that absolutely all partitions are gone. Maybe there is a hidden partition, which would be very ugly.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984