Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, now i'm stumped. Ive got Mandrive '06 and i just want it to detect my printer. its a Lexmark Z32. i tried downloading the drivers from the lexmark website, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lexmark printer

Well, now i'm stumped. Ive got Mandrive '06 and i just want it to detect my printer. its a Lexmark Z32. i tried downloading the drivers from the lexmark website, and it said i didnt have c++ libraries, so i downloaded them. then the config ran but the computer still doesnt see the printer! MCC just says "no printers directly connected". any clues?

also, i want to be able to use my old Microsoft Word docs with OpenOffice.org, but when i open them, the formatting is all screwy. any way to fix that other than converting every single doc?

p.s. thanks for the help and patience!

Don't know how to fix the Word documents but setting up the printer might just be a case of going into mcc (Configure Your Computer) and selecting it from in there. Mandriva is funny with printers though, and I much prefer to set mine up by going into:

System>Configuration>KDE>Peripherals>Printers

I would use CUPS as your printer server. You might be surprised at how much control you have over your printer if you can get that working.

One thought I had about the Word documents ... You could try installing the most up-to-date version of Ooo you can find and opening the docs with that.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Great Barrier Reef -QLD-Australia on a boat

Word docs

Word seems to store its documents in a different format to say Microsoft Office Word.
    Both being Microsoft I dont know why ,however Open Office opens MsOfficeWord docs perfectly so I suggest opening each file as you want it as a commer separated values file and it should work or something along those lines . Maybe by a script open each document in the old Word and choose to save as a csv text file or just text file then open them with OO