Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I am actually installing Mandrake 10.1 for a server at the office where I work. My boss told me to set it up etc. Enough background.. I installed mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 boot error

So, I am actually installing Mandrake 10.1 for a server at the office where I work. My boss told me to set it up etc. Enough background..

I installed mandrake 10.1 with KDE workstation, Configuration, Console Tools, and Documentation. Every time i boot the computer it runs, and acts like its loading up the OS, then its like dumps me into a console. the KDE is there, I am sure of it, it just gives me display errors when i use

startx
    or
    startkde

after i have logged in to the local server with my login and password.

i was using an older computer (2 years or so) at the office to try and install, so i brought the HD home, redid the install on my PC and have the same problem. I realized, however, that it has something to do with my video display. it wont find the correct drivesr for my X800pro. so how do i install drivers on an OS when i cant even get into it?

Video cards are a common source of problems with this distro. The best time to configure the driver is during installation. This doesn't mean you have to do a fresh install ... You just need to boot from the installation disk and run through setting up your card again. If you can't find a driver which matches your card then you might just try setting it up with a generic driver for a generic card: perhaps set it up as VESA.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Mandrake

So, I found drivers that worked, I am sure of it. Now, however, when i load Mandrake, it tells me I have memory problems.

I get some variety of this error about three times in a row

mount error 6 mounting ext3

and then the boot ends like this:

kernel panic: No unit found. Try passing init = option to kernel.

Help please?