Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have never used Linux before and have no basic knowledge of it. I want to install Mandriva and already tried a couple of times but unfortunately no success. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pleaseeee Help with Installation

I have never used Linux before and have no basic knowledge of it. I want to install Mandriva and already tried a couple of times but unfortunately no success. I know why I was unable install it.
    The problem is that I am installing it on a Laptop with Intel Celeron M Processor and am unsure of the category to choose from this link that most web forums mention:
    http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mirrors

I want to know whether this processor (Intel Celeron M 1.40 GHz) belongs to PPC, i586, or x86_64 OR some other such as i686.

Can anyone please look at the above link and tell me which specific ISO files should I download to burn them on CD's.

Please respond a.s.a.p. and i ll be thankful to all.

Edit: I would appreciate any other sources from where to download any working version of Mandriva as well. So, all comments are welcome.
    Thank you in advance

Pretty sure i586.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    You need the i585 or i686 iso's. I have not used Mandriva since it was called Mandrake so I'm sure some suggestions of where to to get ISO's will come along

Peace V

Just Joined!

Problem

I want to make sure that the downloaded files are compatible with my system:
    Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD1.i586.iso
    Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD2.i586.iso
    Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD3.i586.iso

I have burnt these three i585 ISO images to CD's. But when I insert the first disk and reboot from CD-ROM, it gives me option to:
    1. F2 for more options (which takes me to MS-DOS like coding which I dont know any commands for)
    2. Press ENter for Install or Upgrade

When I press Enter, a new page comes up with a status bar at the bottom of the page. It only goes upto approx. 3% and then it pops up a message saying "Fatal Error Initializing". From there, I can only see the logs etc and I finally reboot my computer to return to Windows.

I am curious about the problem and want to know the full procedure that I should follow in order to successfully install Mandriva on my machine.

Possible issues that I think might have resulted to this fatal error are Partitions/Drive File System.

I have only 2 partitions of my hard drive; C and D.
    C is NTSC and D is FAT32
    C has Windows, Program Files and almost everything on PC, while D has some documents and recovery stuff only. I have about 10GB of free space in C and 2GB in D.
    The problem is that I cant even see all installation options (such as destination for installation) as there is something big wrong.

Please help me out a.s.a.p. as I am not experienced with Linux at all. Any step-by-step procedure for successful installation would be appreciated.

Thank you Dapper Dan and cuiq for your quick replies.

--------------------------------------------
    Again, my System is:
    Gateway Laptop with Windows XP Home Edi.
    Intel Celeron M 1.40 GHz with 760 MB of RAM

Two possibilities: 1) you have a bad burn. Make sure that the Media is really okay (md5sum check), 2) go to the advanced mode and try booting with
    linux noapic nolapic
    Also, take a look here: http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html
    Very detailed, very informative.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984