Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi my web server isnt resolving i cant ping but name but i can ping by ip addresses it doesnt av bind installed and i dont want to install it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

server not resolving

hi
    my web server isnt resolving i cant ping but name but i can ping by ip addresses
    it doesnt av bind installed and i dont want to install it on it i av others ones im using help anyone

Just Joined!
    Your question is not clear. You can't resolve you server name? Or your server can't resolve names?

If you cannot resolve your server name? This would be a problem with your desktop or your DNS server. From your desktop I assuem you can ping google.com. If so then your DNS server has not been setup correctly to resolve the server name. You did not say if you are running your own DNS server but you should look into that.

If your server is not resolving. This can happen if you setup your server with a static IP address but did not set what DNS server to use. Your server will need to have a DNS server set in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

You did not say what OS or version you are running so there is no way to know how to fix it.

Repost your question and add some details.