Find the answer to your Linux question:
I first installed the free edition on an external HD and when it booted for the first time it gets stuck before the bootloader menu even appears. It printed L ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva 2006 Free boot problem

I first installed the free edition on an external HD and when it booted for the first time it gets stuck before the bootloader menu even appears. It printed L 08 08 08 08 08 08 08 08 08 08 08 on and on over 100 times. At this point nothing works and i am stuck.

I tried reinstalling linux, then recovering windows and erasing all other partitions but i still got the same error. I tried installing linux all by itself on the main HD and it worked fine and thought the issue was fixed. I then recovered windows again but this time it displayed L 99 99 99 99 99 ... and got stuck again. Any help on what to do would be most appreciated.

I've seen this before. Not sure about the L 08 08 08 r but the L 09 09 09 09 r means that your boot sector is too big and exceeds the first 1024 kb at the very beginning of your hard drive.

In English what I'm saying is that your boot sector is too big. Some people set up a separate boot partition for Linux and if you create a large one then that can cause this problem.

Another way of stating the problem is that your bootloader is saying, "I can't find the boot sector so I'll print a load of 9s at you".

Make it smaller (I don't know how small you can get away with - how about 350 MBs?)

Hope this helps.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

350 megs for a boot partition???? you can get away with 20 or so megs. Persoanlly I'd just put it at 50 - 100MB just to leave enough room for having multiple distros...

Also gab00n, please take a look the forum rules regarding animated avatars (towards the end of page)...
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    350 megs for a boot partition???? you can get away with 20 or so megs.)
    Thanks AlexK: I didn't know that. Actually I don't have a separate boot partition anymore ... This dates from me being a newbie and having similar problems to the guy above.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I had that 08s once, and if I remember right, that was because the bootloader didn't point to a bootable partition. It was on a computer with 5 hard disks, 2 of which on a controller card considered as RAID, and I was at a complete loss as to which hda1, hde2, etcetera, were the bootable partitions. I set Lilo randomly, and one time, I had that error code...

My suggestion : reboot with MDV's install CD/DVD, chose the mount point manager to see which are the bootable partitions, and reconfigure Lilo to point to those bootable partitions.
    If it doesn't work, then it's the boot sector size