Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have trouble in installing gd 2 in mandrake.. i've tried to follow the instruction in manual that attached. since i use ".\configure" followed by "make" and "make install" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble installing gd 2

hi,

i have trouble in installing gd 2 in mandrake.. i've tried to follow the instruction
    in manual that attached.
    since i use ".\configure" followed by "make" and "make install" command, there are no error shown. after i restarted the apache service, i still get an error in my browser (JpGraph Error This PHP installation is not configured with the GD library).

thank you

Hi - Not sure what gd 2 is? What are you trying to achieve? It might be installed if you got no errors. Sometimes after installing something you have to create links between directories/applications. You do this using the ln command.

Open a terminal and type:

man ln

That should help you a little.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    sorry i means gd library ver 2.xx

The first thing you'll need is to know where the library file you compiled ended up. Likely locations:

/usr/lib
    /usr/local/lib

You'll also need to know exactly what that library files are called. It probably installed correctly as generally libraries are quite easy to compile from source.

Then you need to understand which files or directories need linking together. If - for example - I want to link an application called 'fooble' with a library file called womble.so, and if womble.so is stored in /usr/local/lib I might try the following:

cd /usr/bin/fooble
    ln -s fooble /usr/local/lib/womble.so

That should create a symbolic link to your library, but remember that this is just an example and you might have to work a bit harder to link the right things together. My example is rather silly, and you'll need to read more about using ln to make it work.

From past experience I know that it's often a case of understanding as much about what your applications need to link to as possible. To do this read your manuals. Also bear in mind that manuals can be sloppy and incomplete --- so also search on Google: it's your friend.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso