Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Black screen after boot

Initial Info:
    Me = Newbie
    I am using Mandriva Linux 2006
    In the initial installation, I used only CD1 (haven't downloaded CD2 or 3 yet)

Seems like you get a lot of questions with this problem, but looking at several topics, I was either unable to get any results, or was unsure of how to fix the problem. :P

Booting my computer, I get to the screen letting me choose between "linux", "linux-nonfb", and "failsafe".

Choosing the first, the bar loads completely, and then the screen blanks, and nothing appears.

Choosing either the second or the third, a text screen comes up, carrying out hardware checks, etc, but stops after:
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    I can't type anything in at either screen. I tried pressing CTRL-ALT-F3 at this screen (and the blank screen, and during the working screen), but nothing happens.

At the failsafe boot, there is no prompt for me to type "init 3".

Also, during the initial install, I was allowed to check graphics card settings. The default selected resolution was 1280x1024, and the program allowed me to test the monitor. I pressed the button, and all went well (movable cursor, black, grey, then colourful screens). I took that as a good message, and continued.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

Hamilton ON Canada
    Mabie your missing somethng thats on CD #2?

Go to a friends computer and burn it or your local netcafe and get #2 and try installing with both and see what happens

It may be useful for you all to know that I have a ATi Radeon 9200SE installed on that computer. The installer automatically chooses "Radeon fglrx" as the driver, but I have also tried selecting "vesa", and "Radeon", with similar results.

4. $spacer_open