Find the answer to your Linux question:
Initial Info: Me = Newbie I am using Mandriva Linux 2006 In the initial installation, I used only CD1 (haven't downloaded CD2 or 3 yet) --- Seems like you get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Black screen after boot

Initial Info:
    Me = Newbie
    I am using Mandriva Linux 2006
    In the initial installation, I used only CD1 (haven't downloaded CD2 or 3 yet)

---

Seems like you get a lot of questions with this problem, but looking at several topics, I was either unable to get any results, or was unsure of how to fix the problem. :P

Booting my computer, I get to the screen letting me choose between "linux", "linux-nonfb", and "failsafe".

Choosing the first, the bar loads completely, and then the screen blanks, and nothing appears.

Choosing either the second or the third, a text screen comes up, carrying out hardware checks, etc, but stops after:
    Code:
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    I can't type anything in at either screen. I tried pressing CTRL-ALT-F3 at this screen (and the blank screen, and during the working screen), but nothing happens.

At the failsafe boot, there is no prompt for me to type "init 3".

---

Also, during the initial install, I was allowed to check graphics card settings. The default selected resolution was 1280x1024, and the program allowed me to test the monitor. I pressed the button, and all went well (movable cursor, black, grey, then colourful screens). I took that as a good message, and continued.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

Mabie your missing somethng thats on CD #2?

Go to a friends computer and burn it or your local netcafe and get #2 and try installing with both and see what happens

Just Joined!
    It may be useful for you all to know that I have a ATi Radeon 9200SE installed on that computer. The installer automatically chooses "Radeon fglrx" as the driver, but I have also tried selecting "vesa", and "Radeon", with similar results.