Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by linuxpwnsyoun00b p.s. Ive also tried Slax Live CD and Gnoppix Live CD on this computer and none of the 3 live disks that i have will boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpwnsyoun00b
    p.s. Ive also tried Slax Live CD and Gnoppix Live CD on this computer and none of the 3 live disks that i have will boot they all have kernel panic .. just thought that might help a little bit
    That is VERY suspect. This HP machine probably has some defective RAM. Download memtest x86+ and run the test for a few hours (or less if it find a problem write away):

http://www.memtest.org/

If effectively it has defective RAM, then try the RAM sticks individually until you find the problematic one.

Then again, maybe it is something else, but that is what I would check first.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I second that. Usually those kernel errors are caused by broken ram modules.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    That is VERY suspect. This HP machine probably has some defective RAM. Download memtest x86+ and run the test for a few hours (or less if it find a problem write away):

http://www.memtest.org/

If effectively it has defective RAM, then try the RAM sticks individually until you find the problematic one.

Then again, maybe it is something else, but that is what I would check first.

thanks for the Link ... as i type the test is running . i am on a compaq with mandriva installed on it . and it works completely fine so its got to be something in the hardware on the HP if anything shows up in the RAM tests i'll let you know

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok so i ran the mem test . and the RAM is fine at least the test didnt find anything wrong . so im just going to try and install SuSE and if that doesnt work i guess i'll stick with Windows .... (shudders) .... thanks to everyone that gave me the help i needed

-john

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpwnsyoun00b
    ok so i ran the mem test . and the RAM is fine at least the test didnt find anything wrong
    How much time did you let it run? Sometimes the RAM has to "get hot" so it start making mistakes. You can let it run a long time: 10, 20, 30 hours if you like.

It really looked like it was defective RAM.

You can:
    -update your BIOS
    -update your CD-ROM firmware
    -try another hard drive or test this one with the hard drive's manufacturer diagnostic utility
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I have heard several people complaining about Mandriva. I have the Mandriva One DVD with Live boot option. When I boot, everything works wonderfully until I click the Install Icon located on the desktop. The installation quits after it copies the install. Never gets to the actual insallation of the files before the Installation box disappears. ::shrugs:: So I restart the computer just to see if it would continue, but it don't. How do I install the software without actually boot Live?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2