Find the answer to your Linux question:
I very recently was looking at fluxbox as well.. something to use (forgive me of typos.. cat spilled ice cream on keyboard). I ahve installed it via, rpm. But i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fluxbox Window Manager for Gnome (GDM)

I very recently was looking at fluxbox as well.. something to use (forgive me of typos.. cat spilled ice cream on keyboard).
    I ahve installed it via, rpm. But i cant select it to use.. please dont tell me to tpye 'fluxbox' in the console.. i would have to running a WM and therefore it certainly would read out soemthing to the efffect of 'why the hell did you even try this'
    thats besides the point though. I looked through the documentation on the site.. its pretty much not helping becausee they are tellin me sh*t i dont understand.. heres the site.. http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/en/faq.php#gdm
    thats the one source i used.. heres the other. telling me basically the same thing as the last.. but.. differently
    http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbo...xbox-docs.html
    im pulling out my hair here.. please assist.. someone with brains..

TIA

dave

Doesn't GDM provide you with fluxbox as an option for session types? If it doesn't, you'll have to add it somehow. Unfortunately, I'm no GDM expert; I personally start X from the console every time I boot. If you're interested in doing that, just put this into your ~/.xinitrc file:
    Code:
    exec /usr/bin/fluxbox # Or wherever fluxbox is
    and type 'startx' after logging in.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

If you want to install fluxbox, set up your easyurpmi software mirrors and type
    urpmi fluxbox
    and it will be automatically added to the gdm wm list. It always worked for me. No hacking needed.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    If you want to install fluxbox, set up your easyurpmi software mirrors and type
    urpmi fluxbox
    and it will be automatically added to the gdm wm list. It always worked for me. No hacking needed.
    i went to Easy URPMI (your talking about the site, right.) anyways

Im on a comp with, XP Pro.. at any rate... i went through the 3 steps.. and gave me a an output (from the site) to become input (of my console)
    thus will be my input
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia main rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the devil am i to do with it after i finish that (input that into the console..). I think that adds mirriors? ok..
    Now what .. by the way.. im sittin in english.. so hook me up with an answer.. then ill get to it...

TIA

dave

Now you can install fluxbox in two ways, one is clicking on "configure your computer " (aka Mandriva Control Center (short: MCC)) and install it from there with the software installer, the second option is to use the terminal.

urpmi fluxbox

That's it.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984