Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Bending Unit I get the following error Code: /bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB/build: No such file or directory Makefile.inc:95: *** /lib/modules/2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Bending Unit
    I get the following error

Code:
    /bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB/build: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:95: *** /lib/modules/2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

Any ideas?
    My first guess is that you don't have the source code for the kernel installed - this'll get it for you: open a console and type
    Code:
    uname -r
    take note of the output
    Go into MCC > "Look at installable software and install software..."
    search for "kernel-source" (without the quotes)
    pick the version which corresponds to the output of uname -r

If this isn't in the list, check in "Look at installed software and uninstall...", and search for "kernel-source" in there, to check that it is indeed installed.

If it is instaled (so the problem lies elsewhere), try going into a console and typing
    Code:
    cd /lib/modules
    (change directory to /lib/modules), then
    Code:
    ls
    (this lists the contents of the folder).
    If 2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB isn't listed, but something similar is, it means that the make command is simply looking in the wrong place, and this can probably changed by editing the makefile (tho I don't know how complex that might be).

Of course, if installing "kernel-source" did work, just ignore that last chunk - it's irrelevant And because anything else I write now might well be just as pointles, I wont go any further at this stage.

HTH
    Giles

EDITS: making it make a little more sense (well, I can try at least )
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Hmmm this is strange I looked in "Installable Software" but it didn't have the same version I was looking for, so I searched "Installed Software" and came up empty. I followed your other instructions and it turns out 2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB IS listed there so I looked inside of that.

Code:
    [mm14@localhost 2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB]$ ls
    kernel/         modules.dep          modules.inputmap   modules.seriomap
    modules.alias   modules.description  modules.isapnpmap  modules.symbols
    modules.ccwmap  modules.ieee1394map  modules.pcimap     modules.usbmap
    Now I think the error I'm getting implies their should be something called "build" in there which there doesn't appear to be?
    Thanks for hanging in there with me by the way.

Yeah, it does indeed seem to be trying to find a folder called "build" in there.

<time passes>

Ah ha! What a lucky coincidence: I had been convinved that I'd already installed kernel-source on my box, but discovered while going through the steps (so that i could record them) that I hadn't. So I then did. This means that I'm able to compare the output of
    Code:
    ls
    in /lib/modules/`uname -r` before and after installing the source. Before, it looked more or less identical to yours. Now there's a symbolic link called build, which links to /usr/src/linux-2.6.12-12mdk (which is in my case the kernel source).

So the answer is, you do need to install kernel source. However, urpmi doesn't have the right version. (I suspect that, like me, you saw 2.6.12-12mdk and 2.6.12-21mdk available when you searched for kernel-source). So I guess there are two options: use the wrong version (easy but may not work - I don't know how risky this might be) or find another way to get the right source.

I've gotta go out now, so I can't look into alternative ways of installing kernel-source. I'll look into it again later, but it may be a little difficult to track down, because 2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB is specially edited by the mandriva team (hence the mdk bit).

If anyone knows how big a problem it would be it would be to install the wrong version of kernel-source I'm sure we'd both love to hear

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I tried google-linuxing for that specific kernel, and the results were less than helpful. But then I suddenly realised that there should be a much easier way of getting the source to it: anyone who edits GPL'd code (and the kernel is covered by GPL v2) is required to make the source of their new version available, so if you email Mandriva and ask them where the source for kernel-source-2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB is they're required to point you in the right direction.

Since mandriva make their money from supporting people who use their OS, they're quite secretive about support email addresses and so forth, but that doesn't mean they aren't required to help you on this, and they do have a contact page, tho working out which options to go for could be a challenge

Good luck
    Giles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2