Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Added switch to network and lost connection...

Hey everyone.
    I have a bit of an interesting problem. I have a small network with only 2 computers: the despised WinXP box and my beloved Linux box running Mandriva 2006 Free. I recently installed Oracle on my window box and got just a little annoyed that I was being assigned a 192.168.2.* address by my router, so I decided to pick up a cheap switch. I bought an "Airnet 8 port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Switch" (AEG108 ) and installed it today. My window box took it into stride, but my linux box doesn't seem to want to work with it no matter what I try. I went into the configuration center and fooled around with reconfiguring, deleting, and re-adding connections, etc.

I've spent the last 4 hours looking everywhere I could to try to find a solution/workaround for this, but to no avail. I even tried re-installing Mandriva, but still no result. Has anyone else run into something like this? Or does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance!

for the linux box, try giving it a static ip and tell it that the gateway to the internet is the router.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Okay, I think I figured it out - I'm limited to a single IP address with my ISP, and the window box yoinked it. I guess my choices include either paying for another IP or returning the switch and dealing with what I had (which honestly wasn't all that terrible). Thanks for the reply anyways!

4. $spacer_open
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, kayf.

Yes, I think you have the answer; but that is not necessarily the end.

Thousands of people are in your situation, but they are able to use multiple computers. I cannot give you the details, but basically a box (like your router) that has a protocol feature called NAT enabled will be able to deal with multiple computers.

If you are interested in a solution like that, I suggest you post in the Linux Networking forum, and the experts there can give you some guidance.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )