Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay, I am new to Linux, I mean COMPLETELY. I need some help. First off, HOW do I get FireFox? I have downloaded it and there is nothing easy like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am an Idiot!

Okay, I am new to Linux, I mean COMPLETELY.

I need some help.

First off, HOW do I get FireFox? I have downloaded it and there is nothing easy like Windblows, so how Do I get it to work?

Second, Email? How do I get email. I used Thunderbird, Can I use it on Linux? If so How do I configure it to work. AS you know you can not just click "Install" Like Windblows. I need some help!

Third, Any good books? Is there a "For Dummies" Series on Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux? Or is there a better book. I thought I heard of one from O'Reily?

Any Help is appreciated.

Just Joined!
    acutally as well. I see when you download files, they are usually compressed in TAR TGZ???

How do I "Uncompress"

I am so stupid

Okay, no comment to the title of this thread.

First of all: We were all new to linux once and you will need a bit of time until you will feel at home with it.

Firefox is included by default in Mandriva, although 2006 does not ship with 1.5 but 1.06 (the latest stable release before the developing of 1.5 began). Thunderbird is also available. I suggest you go to the easyuprmi site http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and set up some software mirrors for your "i586" machine, using urpmi (and not smart). The mirrors available there allow you to download thousands of apps with one mouseclick later. Once this is finished (it ain't hard. just a bit of copy&paste from the webbrowser into a terminal), run from the terminal (black monitor icon) as root user (type "su" to become root and enter the password):

urpmi mozilla-firefox thunderbird

Or start the Mandriva Control Center (MCC, aka "Configure your computer"), go to the software section → install software and click on Firefox and Thunderbird. Then click okay and that's it. It is not that hard. Really, you will get used to it in a hurry.

If you want to install the latest packages from the Mozilla site, then you will need to unpack the files (double click should launch the packager) and run the installer from a terminal, but my proposal is that you stick to the software from the software mirrors for now, until you are more familiar with the system. Once you know the basics, you can dig deeper into the system and test some stuff and learn more about the command-line/terminal. And we will show you how to unpack things then. But for now, go step by step.

Some useful Mandriva documentation ( a bit aged, but still valid) can be found here: http://www.mandriva.com/en/community.../documentation

If you need the ultimate book for linux, go to this site: http://www.chongluo.com/books/rute/ "Rute linux user's tutorial exposition", the perhaps most complete guide ever written.

And ask questions whenever you need help. You will not learn Linux overnight (did you learn Windows over night? I guess not. ), so be prepared that it can last some six months before you really feel comfortable in Linux. So be patient.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am sorry you will have to DUMB it down some more. I will try the Software thing your talking about..
    Windows came pretty easy to me for some reason, i guess because it was easy. I just never dug deep into the registry.

But I love this Linux!!! Awesome stability!

I am gong to do that mirror thing your talking about and see what I can do. Thanks for the quick response, BTW, How do I adjust my screen?

Just Joined!
    OKay I downloaded it, but HOW do I get it to start?

I used that program you told me about and I guess it worked, but how Do I open Thunderbird?

Just Joined!
    Opppsss I seee how...Thanks guys please bear with me...Thanks alot Kodak!

Adjusting your screen should be possible from within Gnome and KDE. Just check the menu. If that doesn't help: MCC → System section → Monitor setup
    There are also other options (like configuring from the command line or by editing config files), but the above options should do for now. If you need more help, just ask.

PS: It's KoJak, not KoDak.

Just Joined!
    Allright, everything seems to be working for now. I guess with time and some reading I can get better

Just Joined!
    I need to know if there is Adobe for Linux? I need Adobe Reader.

Yes, Adbobe is available from the adobe site. You can alternatively install apps like evince or kpdf.

This site explains how to install Adobe and other goodies. Very useful Wiki.
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast