Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed Mandriva free on a computer that I was not using. I have two hard drives on this computer. I have never used Linux extensively. The first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows HD on Linux machine for backup of Laptop

Hi,

I just installed Mandriva free on a computer that I was not using. I have two hard drives on this computer. I have never used Linux extensively. The first is about 50 GB and is fully dedicated to linux. The second is 120 GB and was taken out of an external enclosure that I have been using to backup my laptop that runs XP (therefore it is formatted in XP). I am using KDE and GNOME as my environment.
    I would like to allow my laptop to backup (using Acronis 8 ) over the network to the 120GB drive in the Linux computer (but keep it windows formatted). The problem is that for some reason the 120GB drive is write protected. I have tried modifying the attributes on the drive and it pops up with a message saying that I do not have the privilages to do this even though I am logged in as root. I have even modified it with the hardware advisor program (HardDrake or something like that) to make it writable but nothing works. I expect it is something small that I am missing somewhere, and would really appreicate any help you could offer!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jark2
    The second is 120 GB and was taken out of an external enclosure that I have been using to backup my laptop that runs XP (therefore it is formatted in XP). I am using KDE and GNOME as my environment.
    I would like to allow my laptop to backup (using Acronis 8 ) over the network to the 120GB drive in the Linux computer (but keep it windows formatted).
    Ok, so this 120G drive is in the Mandrake computer?
    In which filesystem is this drive formated? NTFS? FAT32?

You can verify with fdisk:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    If it is NTFS, well you won't have much success writing to it from your Linux machine. If it's FAT32 we will sort this out in no time.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    yes, the 120gb is on the Mandriva machine. It looks like it is formatted in NTFS. Can I reformat it into FAT32? It seems like I was going to format it that way when I first did it, but there was some reason I had to do NTFS. I do not recall why.

Thanks for your help!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Probably because of this:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...s-support.html

Windows will only allow you to format FAT32 partitions of up to 32G, but will read correctly FAT32 partitions of up to 2TB (8TB according to Microsoft).

You can format FAT32 partitions of up to the theorical limit in Linux, so it's not a problem.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I guess my concern with that is that if my laptop hd dies, it would be awkward to transfer the backup onto a new XP hard drive when the backup is formatted in FAT32 and Windows wont read the whole of the contents. I know it is certainly not impossible, but just more messy than I would like for a backup. If a crash occurs, I would really like to be able to take the HD out of the linux machine and run it from an external enclosure again to do the backup. Do you have any other suggestions? Also, I don't know if this matters or not (because I expect it would be the Linux computer actually doing the writing) but the backup software is run from the XP machine, so would it be possible to write directly from the XP program to the NFTS HD on the linux machine (in other words to bypass the Linux completely).

Thanks again for your help!

the backup is formatted in FAT32 and Windows wont read the whole of the contents.
    Windows has no problem writing to/reading from FAT32 partitions of up to 2 TERABYTES. It just won't let you CREATE one of more than 32 GIGABYTES.

so would it be possible to write directly from the XP program to the NFTS HD on the linux machine (in other words to bypass the Linux completely).
    Until recently I had a 200G FAT32 drive (one partition) that I used in an external enclosure. Never had an issues with it.

The only question that matters is: where physically is the drive?

Is the NTFS drive on a Linux machine? Then you can't effectively write to it.

Is the NTFS drive on a Windows machine? Then no problem.

An other solution would be to keep the drive in NTFS, plug it into the XP machine, and make all your backup remotely (using Samba for example) from the Linux machine.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    ahh, 2 TB. That is very helpful. Then I think I will do that...format it in Linux for FAT32, and back it up my XP laptop through Linux over the network that way.

You have been a tremendous help! Thanks so much!!!