Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I had some problems while updating my source for updates using urpmi, and i had to do a urpmi. removemedia -a. The thing is, I did that whitout really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

urpmi : add local media (cd)

Hello,

I had some problems while updating my source for updates using urpmi, and i had to do a urpmi. removemedia -a. The thing is, I did that whitout really thinking about it and now I can't install rpm directly from the CD's (actually, i had copied the CD's on my hard drive when i installed Mandriva). Is there a way I can get these back?

Thanks !

(by the way, i'm using Mandriva 2006 official)

Hi - It's not too hard to do, but you have to know the path on your installation disk to your media. The command to use is urpmi.addmedia plus a few options. For example on my system it would be something like:

urpmi.addmedia mycd /mnt/cdrom/media/main with media_info/hdlist1.cz

Where 'mycd' is the name of the media (you can call it anything at all). And the with media_info part is important. That's the information about each individual package in an extended format. Those files are often about 20MB or so.

The first step is to insert your CD/DVD or whatever into your drive and navigate to your install media files ... Write down the paths to each set of media: that's actually the hardest part IMO. Have fun!

Type man urpmi.addmedia in a terminal for further information.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    It almost works... i can add the CD's no problems, but the thing is is that I copied the data off them when I installed Mandriva (when asked during the installation)... do you have the path to these files? I tried find, but the thing is (even after I rtfm), I can't find the .cz files, because I think they are in an hidden folder somewhere (any idea how to search in hidden files also/only?). Anyway, if anyone could give me the path for the files I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DjDx
    It almost works... i can add the CD's no problems, but the thing is is that I copied the data off them when I installed Mandriva (when asked during the installation)... do you have the path to these files? I tried find, but the thing is (even after I rtfm), I can't find the .cz files, because I think they are in an hidden folder somewhere (any idea how to search in hidden files also/only?). Anyway, if anyone could give me the path for the files I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    I've never used some of the more 'complex' features of the find command (you can find anything if you know how) prefering this approach:
    su
    <password>
    find / -name *.cz -print

That tells find to search every file in every directory from / downwards, named with the *.cz extension ... Then it tells find to print the results to STOUT (standard output). That should find it for you. Actually it should be in a urpmi sub-folder, but I don't remember the path.

There's also an rpm folder on your disk which might be worth checking.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso