Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have old nvidia Riva Vanta video card and I've installed on my machine Mandriva 2005 LE. So I have problem to intall drivers. I have already read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NVIDIA Riva Vanta Drivers

Hi all.
    I have old nvidia Riva Vanta video card and I've installed on my machine Mandriva 2005 LE. So I have problem to intall drivers. I have already read all FAQs about installing the driver but I could not solve my problem.
    First, I do not know which version of the driver I should use (know that from the some moment NVIDIA does not support old cards).
    Second, I could not compile and start nvidia kernel module, but I have kernel sources the same version as intalled kernel and I use '--kernel-source-path'.
    So I am tied from trying to install this driver and have no any idea how to do this=(

Quote Originally Posted by exception
    Hi all.
    I have old nvidia Riva Vanta video card and I've installed on my machine Mandriva 2005 LE. So I have problem to intall drivers. I have already read all FAQs about installing the driver but I could not solve my problem.
    First, I do not know which version of the driver I should use (know that from the some moment NVIDIA does not support old cards).
    Generally on the download page for the individual drivers there's a link on the left hand side that lists the cards supported by that version. I honestly don't know when (or if) support for the Riva Vanta was dropped, but you might try one of the 6xxx versions of the drivers. Other people with older cards seem to have luck with those.

Second, I could not compile and start nvidia kernel module...
    Can you elaborate on that? What was the exact error message you got? Do you have gcc and make installed along with your kernel source?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Generally on the download page for the individual drivers there's a link on the left hand side that lists the cards supported by that version. I honestly don't know when (or if) support for the Riva Vanta was dropped, but you might try one of the 6xxx versions of the drivers. Other people with older cards seem to have luck with those.
    Ok. I'll try to use this version of the drivers.
    Can you elaborate on that? What was the exact error message you got? Do you have gcc and make installed along with your kernel source?
    Yes, I have gcc and intalled.
    And tommorow I'll post the install log file if my try will be unsuccessfull